Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   marking quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/marking-quilts-t107091.html)

saf 03-12-2011 09:17 AM

Has anyone ever used a hera marker to mark their quilting patterns. A non-quilting friend has just told me that I shouldn't use a pencil as I was going to do. She has been told that the best thing to use is a hera marker but I'm afraid that I've never heard of one. What do the rest of you use?

MadQuilter 03-12-2011 09:20 AM

I would not use a regular lead pencil either. There are however pencils made for fabric use. Jean Brown (of Aunt Becky fame) uses the silver or the yellow and she says they wash out just fine.

It depends on what kind of quilting you do - you could use chalk. Is the hera marker the kind that just leaves an imprint for a time? It would make you work fast.

kem77 03-12-2011 09:22 AM

I use a pen that has eraseable ink. You put a little water mist and it dissapears.I am guessing you are not going to applique.

saf 03-12-2011 09:22 AM

I was going to use a pencil because this is what the teacher at the quilting class I went to yesterday recommended. Apparently the hera has no lead or colour and creases the fabric.

Monika 03-12-2011 09:24 AM

I have heard of it, but not used it. Will be interested in reviews from those that have.

Vanuatu Jill 03-12-2011 09:24 AM

I have tried everything ever invented for marking (and then some!) I find I use different methods for different types of designs-chalk pencils and tamper (powdered chalk) I tend to use with stencils, but you have to mark as you go as the chalk wears off as you handle the quilt. I use dissappearing pens as well. If I want to mark a large area in advance, I use a pen that dissappears with a little water or steam. But you have to be careful and test that one first and don't leave it on for a really long time before removing (don't mark, put your quilt away for 6 months and then work on it). Lots of people here will have different ideas on what works for them. I just don't have any one type I use for every quilt. The Hera I use for straight lines, but you can't mark a large section and depending on the fabric print, it can be hard to see. Solids and subtle prints work better than busy prints.

saf 03-12-2011 09:30 AM

teacher yesterday was very critical of the disappearing pencils - maybe for the reason that you give but she also said that some do disappear and then come back later to haunt you. I do have a silver pencil so I think I'll try that for now as I'm keen to get on with this quilt (my first) now that I've got everything together and investigate the hera later

tslowery 03-12-2011 09:31 AM

Thanks for the tips.

cindyg19 03-12-2011 09:33 AM

I've tried the Hera, but when you roll the fabric to quilt it, it kind of messes with the creases from Hera. It is really not something I recommend.

Lobster 03-12-2011 09:35 AM

I think it's the disappearing pens which can come back to haunt you. The pencils which supposedly wash out either wash out or fail to do so; I don't think they wash out and then come back. (But then the ones which don't turn out to wash out after all are quite enough trouble already, thank you.)

There are a number of marking tools out there, and none are perfect for everyone. Most of us are still struggling to find the perfect marker. Be aware that many markers will be set permanently by ironing, and some will rub off through friction by the time you've finished the quilt (especially with hand-quilting), and some might do odd things such as leave smudges (some types of chalk, soft graphite pencils). If you're not sure, just ask here, there will be people with years of experience with that particular marker who can tell you what it gets up to.