Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Marking on white (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/marking-white-t300370.html)

Jingle 10-21-2018 04:57 PM

I use Crayola washable markers on all colors. They wash out easily when I wash the finished quilt.

quiltingshorttimer 10-21-2018 06:28 PM

Avoid pink, yellow and green chalk! And I've had problems with Green Crayola UltraClean Washable Marker once--had used before and only thing different is that client had started fabric first.
My favorites are water soluble blue line pen or the purple air erasable pens--test both first and once done, be sure that first "wash" is without detergent.

Bobbielinks 10-22-2018 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 8146993)
White is more difficult and if I had to mark a lot, I would buy the quilter’s water erasable blue pen. If it is straight lines, I use painter’s tape on the quilt top or my Hera marker. A Hera marker works best with the batt under the top and pressing firmly on a table or hard surface. If it is simple shapes, you can cut the shape out of freezer paper and iron it to the quilt top to quilt around.

I do as Tartan mentioned, with the exception of the Hera marker. I have never heard of it. Will have to check that one out.

Mitty 10-22-2018 09:07 AM

Don't just test washability on the fabric, test on the THREAD. I once had markers wash out of the fabric but cling to the thread. I'm always very reluctant to mark on my fabrics except with chalk that will brush off, and this was one of the few times I tried something else. Fortunately it only shows if I go looking for it. Or maybe I've gotten used to it and don't notice it any more.

bearisgray 10-22-2018 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Mitty (Post 8147632)
Don't just test washability on the fabric, test on the THREAD. I once had markers wash out of the fabric but cling to the thread. I'm always very reluctant to mark on my fabrics except with chalk that will brush off, and this was one of the few times I tried something else. Fortunately it only shows if I go looking for it. Or maybe I've gotten used to it and don't notice it any more.

Good idea - I usually don't even think about the thread!

Lee in Richmond 10-23-2018 03:25 AM

I love blue and black Frixion pens, but find that orange, pink and red can leave a white "ghost" image behind.

cat-on-a-mac 10-23-2018 03:39 AM

I love LEONIS 5 Air Erasable Marking Pens Pink

. get them on Amazon. They disappear on their own, or if you want to speed up the process, you can spritz with a little water.

SusieQOH 10-23-2018 03:41 AM

Hera markers are great for making a straight line in your quilt. It's a tool that makes a crease. For other designs I use chalk mostly.

JustAbitCrazy 10-23-2018 03:42 AM

On white I use Roxanne's grey/silver pencil. It doesn't harm the fabric over time.

lberna 10-23-2018 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Mitty (Post 8147632)

Great idea. I would never thought of that.