Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Marrying the seams (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/marrying-seams-t64817.html)

Joan Rosemary 09-15-2010 02:53 AM

Hi
How many of you newbies are having the same problems as me.
It doesn't seem to matter how many times I have tried I am still having problems lining up the seams uuuuuuuurgh.
I have watched tutorials time and time again and I still muck it up. I am probably being to impatient, but boy it is driving me mad.
Joan

quiltmaker 09-15-2010 03:05 AM

Are you pressing your fabrics to the dark side? If you do this and butt your two seams together (which would have each seam facing the opposite direction) & pin you should have no problem.

I hope this is what you are asking.....also that you understand what I'm trying to say. Unfortunately for me, it would be so much easier to show you than explain in words. Hopefully someone with more teaching words could explain this better.

ktbb 09-15-2010 03:41 AM

Another trick is to not take your pins out until they are almost under the pressure foot...really close to but not under the needle...the farther out you take the pins, the more the machine can offset the seams.

I usually place my pins perpendicular to the seam I'm sewing so the heads are to the right, making them easier to pull out...when I'm concentrating on keeping my seams lined up, I often put a pin parallel to the new seam but to the left of the pressure foot so I don't have to take it out when sewing...it seems to help keep the butted/crossing seams together better. Make sense?

leatheflea 09-15-2010 03:43 AM

4 Attachment(s)
That gave me problems for awhile also. Better cutting help me tons. And putting a wall of tape on my sewing machine to make sure I had exactly 1/4 inch seam. heres a pic of a wall of tape. I think once you get the seams more accurate they will be easier for you to line up. And pressing your fabric towards the dark always. Pin those seams if you have to. The first couple of quilts I made when putting the blocks together they never matched up, in order to match them up I had puckers. Cutting and 1/4 took alot of the aggrevation away.

Run a piece of paper through your machine with no thread then measure to make sure its at 1/4 in
[ATTACH=CONFIG]108730[/ATTACH]

layer 15-20 strips of tape, I use painters tape becasuse its not so sticky
[ATTACH=CONFIG]108954[/ATTACH]

Straighten the edge at the cutting board
[ATTACH=CONFIG]108955[/ATTACH]

I like to place mine right next to the presser foot then move my needle back and forth till I'm at a quarter inch.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]108956[/ATTACH]

Joan Rosemary 09-15-2010 03:48 AM

Thanks leatherflea
That is so neat and very clear. I must say that I do pick up things better if I can see it.and Thanks quiltmaker and ktbb.

sunflower126 09-15-2010 03:52 AM

I found that many of my 1/4" woes went away when I purchased a 1/4" foot for my machine. It has a little lip on it that keeps you from making the seam larger. They arene't very expensive. The tape looks like a good way if $$$ is an issue.

loopywren 09-15-2010 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by Joan Rosemary
Hi
How many of you newbies are having the same problems as me.
It doesn't seem to matter how many times I have tried I am still having problems lining up the seams uuuuuuuurgh.
I have watched tutorials time and time again and I still muck it up. I am probably being to impatient, but boy it is driving me mad.
Joan

Joan I had the same problem as I am new to piecing, I found if I put long pins in side ways on to the seam instead of following the seam, you can leave the pins in as the needle slides over it okay and the seams don't move. Cannot explain any clearer i am afraid.

mirabelle 09-15-2010 04:14 AM

Hi Joan
Make sure that you are setting your seams, ok if you don't know what I mean.
When you lay your unit of patchwork on your ironing board have the darkest side on top then press the stitches,(just sit your hot iron on it for a few seconds) this sets the seam, then carefull lift the top fabric and with the tip of your iron just gently press the seam allowance down. This makes your work sit flat

I hope I have explained that clearly

raptureready 09-15-2010 04:22 AM

They are probably moving as you sew. Try this: When you get them right where you want them, put the seams under the presserfoot and take 3-4 basting stitches (large). Then after sewing your seam pull the basting stitches out. Voila!!! Perfectly married seams!

binthepink 09-15-2010 04:27 AM

Another thing you might try: place the butted seams where the one on top has the seam going away from you, this way the 2 seams will nestle better. If the top seam is facing you the machine tends to spread the butted area apart. Clear as mud?