Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Marti Michell's Block of the Month (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/marti-michells-block-month-t239746.html)

Whitney60 01-27-2014 11:00 AM

Marti Michell's Block of the Month

I attended a block of the month kick off program promoting Marti Michell block / quilt.
The two different quilts were very beautiful and it all seemed like a good deal. I was already to buy just the blocks, but then came all the templates, ruler, book and other helpful products. All being 20% still great.. All sounded great until I looked at the armful of products and bailed. Anyone out there know about her products. I just felt overwhelmed.
Just wanted to keep it simple.
Thanks
Whitney 60

Jingle 01-27-2014 12:22 PM

I don't blame you a bit. She seems to be into selling templates, rulers, etc. Wouldn't take long to have more than I would use.

Pam B 01-27-2014 03:56 PM

I did her American Beauty BOM at the LQS I go to a couple years ago. At first, I was a bit panicked at the templates. Luckily, the LQS offered a couple sessions on exactly how to use the templates. I was very meticulous about labeling my fabrics so I didn't get any of them mixed up as I was making the quilt. I will tell you...I'm glad I made that quilt as it is my absolute favorite one I've ever made! I wouldn't hesitate to do a Marti Michel BOM again.

adnil458 01-27-2014 04:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I did a BOM several years ago, didn't have to buy templates since they were in paper instructions and I made my own .

Rolling Along finished 2011
Here is one block, for some reason could not download entire quilt
Also completed blocks in fun brights, still to be sashed and quilted, YIKES aka UFO

adnil458 01-27-2014 04:34 PM

Did not buy templates

2 Attachment(s)
One block in brights
Rose color way completed YAY

Jan in VA 01-27-2014 07:50 PM

And to think she started with the Mary Ellen Hopkins techniques of strip piecing.:rolleyes:
I've never cared for templates.

MaggieBB 01-27-2014 08:03 PM

I have one of her early books,before she started selling all of the extras,its really good with lots of instructions on making your own templates love it, am not so sure I wood need the new templates to use only for one or two quilts?

Jackie Spencer 01-27-2014 08:25 PM

I have made several of her quilts, love her patterns and templates.

Kitsie 01-28-2014 09:22 AM

I've done two of the Patchwork Party ones. The template shapes come with each pattern and I made my own from them using heat-resistant template plastic. They came out great and I still have the templates. Normal rulers are also all that is needed.

molsonbindie 01-29-2014 04:29 AM

Years ago, when I was new at quilting, I made Martis' "Ramblin Rose meets Jamestown" BOM.....I loved it, I found the templates, even tho it took more time to cut them out, made the piecing a piece of cake! Would love to do another one of hers......