Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Marti Mitchell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/marti-mitchell-t238366.html)

Ladibug 01-07-2014 04:58 PM

Marti Mitchell

Are Marti Mitchell templates worth the cost? (even a discounted cost?) I am trying to build my quilting supplies as cheaply as I can. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

LTeachergeorge 01-07-2014 05:39 PM

I really like Marti's templates, but I would have to have a project in mind before I would purchase any more. There are several different sets and even though there are some suggestions in the package, I'd want the one for a particular quilt that I wanted to make. I've used them on a couple BOM's, that turned out very well. I haven't used any for a couple years, and I might add, I usually like templates -- (not everybody does).

Linda in Missouri

Jackie Spencer 01-07-2014 05:54 PM

I love to make her quilts, the templates are great and make it so much easier!!

dunster 01-07-2014 06:02 PM

I agree with Linda in Missouri. Marti's templates are very high quality and well thought designed. However, unless you have a specific quilt in mind that you really need the templates for, I would not purchase them. Most quilts can be made with just "standard" rulers, which almost always have lines on them for 30, 45, and 60 degrees. I purchased a number of special purpose templates when I first started quilting, and they're all still sitting in a drawer, unused.

QKO 01-07-2014 06:29 PM

If you're looking for her products, her name though is Marti Michell. No "t". We've met her on a couple of occasions. Nice lady, very sweet, and really knows her stuff.

Kitsie 01-08-2014 08:45 AM

I have made 2 of Marti's patterns and loved how they fit together with her templates. However the template shapes were on the paper pattern so I traced them onto template plastic. Worked great and saved $$.

Pam B 01-08-2014 09:14 AM

Her templates are wonderful but I would only buy them to use on specific projects. Don't buy then to simply add to your quilting supplies. I made her American Beauty quilt! It turned out absolutely the best of any I've made!

mckwilter 01-08-2014 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 6499693)
I agree with Linda in Missouri. Marti's templates are very high quality and well thought designed. However, unless you have a specific quilt in mind that you really need the templates for, I would not purchase them. Most quilts can be made with just "standard" rulers, which almost always have lines on them for 30, 45, and 60 degrees. I purchased a number of special purpose templates when I first started quilting, and they're all still sitting in a drawer, unused.

I agree, too. I have several of her sets of templates which I bought to do a $5 quilt through my LQS (I think we did 4 of them). The LQS stopped doing them, and I'm not sure where they are now.

Buy a good set of rulers, like the Creative Grids, which are non-skid. I recommend you start with the 12-1/2" square and a 6-1/2"x18 ruler. Also, you might want to get the June Taylor Shape Cut, which is wonderful for cutting strips and subcutting them into squares and rectangles. There are two sizes -- 12"x12" and 12"x18". The large one is pricy, even on sale, but worth the cost.

quiltstringz 01-08-2014 10:26 AM

If you are doing one of her BOMs they are definitely worth the money. However I would not think that those would be items I would purchase just to build up my tools/notions.

Jingle 01-08-2014 01:18 PM

A good assorted size straight rulers would be a better choice. I have 6 x 24" - 6 x 12" and a couple of different sized square rulers. I also have a June Tailor strip ruler. I use these the most.
I have bought specialty rulers thinking I would use them and have not.