Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Mary Ellen's Best Press. What do you Think? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/mary-ellens-best-press-what-do-you-think-t115615.html)

jljack 04-13-2011 01:51 PM

Out of my price range. Niagara is now making a non-aerosol spray starch that is guaranteed not to flake. I bought some and I LOVE it. It even smells like good old fashioned starch!!

Deborahlees 04-13-2011 01:58 PM

I agree the Nigara is a nice product.

champagnebubbles 04-13-2011 01:58 PM

I use it, I know it is pricey, For me,I think it is worth it.

MissBarkey 04-13-2011 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Happy Tails
I cannot for the life of me find any of the starches or sizing everybody talks about. Ive tried Walmart, Superstore (grocery store) I did buy a bottle of the Best Press for 8.59. I guess I will have to find the recipe and make my own.

You will not find these starches in Canada. I ask my friends to pick up several cans of Fautless spray starch when they travel in the U.S. which they frequently do. It's too bad that we can't even get liquid starch here.

debcavan 04-13-2011 02:10 PM

I use Magic Sizing in the green can for extra crispness especially when I am fussy cutting where the grain won't be right

For much lighter, I use Dryel Spray. it is a pump which I like.

If you buy a product at a quilt shop you can be guaranteed it will be much higher than if you find the equivalent in a grocery store.

Years ago everyone used Orvus for washing their fabrics. In the quilt shop it was $6 for a tiny bottle. At Farm and Fleet, it was $8 for a gallon.

I would tell you to save your money and buy fabric with it.

debcavan 04-13-2011 02:12 PM

Sizing is not a natural product and bugs don't eat it. Starch is a natural product that bugs love. Which is Mary Ellen's Best Press. Either way, stick to your sizing

candi 04-13-2011 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by debcavan
Sizing is not a natural product and bugs don't eat it. Starch is a natural product that bugs love. Which is Mary Ellen's Best Press. Either way, stick to your sizing

According to the bottle, Best Press is a starch alternative, so no corn starch is in it and therefore doesn't attract bugs. I've never tried sizing, I am thinking I need to.

QuiltE 04-13-2011 02:19 PM

:oops: OOOOPS! double post!

QuiltE 04-13-2011 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by debcavan
Years ago everyone used Orvus for washing their fabrics. In the quilt shop it was $6 for a tiny bottle. At Farm and Fleet, it was $8 for a gallon.

I would tell you to save your money and buy fabric with it.

*blink*

Orvus?
as in the pasty soap we use to wash show cattle?

Curious? was there something special about it, that it was used for fabric?

runnerchicki 04-13-2011 02:20 PM

I LOVE Best Press! I never have flakes on the fabric, and it gives it *just* enough body for easy handling without being stiff. Plus it smells great. And no worries about silverfish or other yuckies.