Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Mary's Square Instructions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/marys-square-instructions-t5241.html)

grammo013 03-16-2008 01:30 PM

woohoo glad you found it. yes please post your square ddirections as I would love to try this square and maybe a quilt.
Thank you :D

DebJ 03-16-2008 01:50 PM

:mrgreen: Yes, I second the above comment. Post your directions and all other needed information that is legal. I really like you quilts and would like to make one. Of course I doubt I will ever make all the different patterns I would like to try my hand at, so much fabric so little time. :-( :thumbdown:

Shari1967 03-16-2008 02:33 PM

these are gorgeous!
Thanks for sharing!

I'd love to have the instructions to the block as well.

SaraSewing 03-17-2008 12:01 PM

I can't find the instructions in any public domain site (yet). But I'm interested in making this quilt. It would be great to use up scraps, which is my quest this year. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it. I love the quilt, especially the blue one. Nancy Jean, I'd also love for you to PM me the hints and pointers that you have drawn out. Thanx. Sara

DonnaRae 03-17-2008 12:03 PM

Please post the block!!!

Pam Pollock 03-17-2008 12:47 PM

Nancy Jean, Those are both very pretty!! Thanks for sharing!! :D

patricej 03-17-2008 01:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Ladies, Ladies, Ladies. Look closely.

The quilt is made from one block. "Mary's Square" is just the name the author of that particular book gave it. It probably has a bazillion other names, too. It's very common for public domain blocks to have more than one name.

By changing the colors, rearranging the placement of lights, mediums and darks, and rotating the blocks in a variety of ways, you can achieve any number of different looks. Nancy Jean has shown us two and will soon re-post her drawings that illustrate more.

In the meantime, here's a basic file showing the shapes that make up the block. It can be done with rotary cutting, with templates, or as a paper-piecing project.

The file includes one page of blank blocks. Print a few copies. Cut them apart and play with the blocks. Rotate, rearrange, color them in with pencils or crayons. You will find yourself playing with them for hours as you discover all the possibilities. :P

NancyJean 03-17-2008 05:27 PM

Hi girls!

I'm going to modify what I had posted here so I can give you the instructions without breaking any copyright laws. It may take a little while, as I don't have a lot of time at the end of the day to sit down with it, but I promise I'll get it to you as quickly as I can. I hope this helps....What I can tell you is you will need lots of the following:

Light Scraps 2 1/2" x 3 1/2"
Dark Scraps 2 1/2" x 2 1/2"
Dark Scraps 4 1/2" x 5 1/2"

That's pretty much all you need to construct your squares. You can start cutting or collecting now, and I'll post the instructions as soon as I can. I'll try to hurry!

Nancy Jean :)