Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   materal avalanch (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/materal-avalanch-t37786.html)

laura whitmore 02-24-2010 04:10 AM

I have stock piles lots of materal, I love auctions an gets lots, does some of ya all have any suggestions on how to organize it without pulling out pieces without the avalanch?? Thanks so much
laura

brushandthimble 02-24-2010 05:03 AM

I put either a long ruler or a canvas board under and on top of the piece of fabric I want. It now "sandwiched" and I can pull it out. Not perfect but helps from a total collapse.

laura whitmore 02-24-2010 05:08 AM

Its a start, thanks so much!!!

Oklahoma Suzie 02-24-2010 05:19 AM

don't stack them on top of one another, stack them side by side. It's much easier to get the one you want.

Jingle 02-24-2010 05:35 AM

I have mine all organized now and unstack or move out to get to the piece I want. I folded all of it and rolled around my 5" or 6" ruler, much better than having them in see through containers.

foxxigrani 02-24-2010 05:53 AM

I am now in the process of moving all my fabric from deep shelves that I can't see what I have to the long shelf at the top of the closet. I am wraping around my 6" ruler. I have had to pull out some and moved them, the ruler in between works great. I am stacking it high, since I have so many colors and want to put them all up on that shelf. So good luck.

Rita

pieces 02-24-2010 06:14 AM

My husband installed wire baskets in my sewing room closet. And I love them. Three bins are 7 inches deep and I have 2 stacks of fabric per bin. One bin is three inches deep and I keep my crib quilt fabrics in there. The bins pull out for easy access. My fabric is sorted by color. So when I'm looking for green fabrics, I can go right to that bin. The bins also come out of the frame. Theres also space between the bins to stack fabric as well. I place larger cuts of fabric I have purchased for quilt backings for crib/lap quilts. They were reasonable priced, installed easily. He purchased it from Lowes for me for Xmas 2 years ago. I would recommend this type of storage. The fabric can breathe in the wire baskets. Easy access.

tlrnhi 02-24-2010 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by laura whitmore
I have stock piles lots of materal, I love auctions an gets lots, does some of ya all have any suggestions on how to organize it without pulling out pieces without the avalanch?? Thanks so much
laura

Just pack it all up and send it to me! That way, you don't have to worry about it all falling over! lol
Ok, seriously...I agree, stacking/putting it next to each other works great.
I also have alot of fabric in drawers and when it's organized....I fold it, then fold it again, then put them next to each other. Sort of like if you were to put books in a drawer next to each other so all you would see is the bindings to the books. Make sense? Clear as mud?

LucyInTheSky 02-24-2010 08:27 AM

Easy. Show boyfriend piece of fabric I want. Have boyfriend manly (<- adverb) lift up all the fabrics on top of it. He holds, I pull it out. There's no shifting with the top fabrics now, since he's holding. I get out, he sets down, I make sure it's stable... and quickly close the door so they can't fall :-D

pieces 02-24-2010 09:09 AM

Too much fabric is a problem? LOL
Sounds like you need to put the pedal to the metal and make some quilts :) :)