Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Material requirements for D9P (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/material-requirements-d9p-t215688.html)

KarenR 03-06-2013 06:19 PM

Material requirements for D9P

Can someone tell me the fabric requirements for a disappearing 9 patch quilt or point me to a website that has that information.

I can't decide between 6", 9", 12" squares. What is your preference?
Fabric A will be the main color in the corners.
Fabric B will be the middle Square
Fabric c will be the other fabric.

Should I have more than 3 fabrcs?

Thanks in advance for the information.

irishrose 03-06-2013 06:24 PM

I used 5" charms so my blocks before cutting were 14". I used the 20 colors in the charm packs (2), plus a few 5" squares cut from my stash for a large lap quilt. I like then scrappy and with only a few colors, so that's a personal choice.

Maureen 03-06-2013 07:44 PM

I used 3 charm packs and made my center squares all black. I love the way it came out.

MadQuilter 03-06-2013 07:52 PM

I used 5" squares to start as well. As for the fabric, all I know is that you need the same amount for the corners as for the alternating positions and the center fabric requires 1/4th the amount of the others.

EllieGirl 03-06-2013 08:46 PM

I used four yards of fabric cut into 5" squares. I had a lot of fabric left over but it was 1 yard each of four different fabrics.

jemma 03-06-2013 08:56 PM

6 1/2 x6 1/2 squares--because my ruler is that size-----------i just compleated 2 i-spy adult d9p quilts one a wedding quilt one a passage quilt---i was able to include embroidery but always remember you will be turning some squares--so top left+bottom right do not get turned--i was rearly happy with how they turned out---only had one duck swimming in the sky!!!!---one of my quilt group used 8x8 of one large floral uncut square was a very special quilt

KarenR 03-07-2013 07:18 AM

I think the 6 1/2" squares will be nice as she has chosen a larger print (at least the picture shows it) she will have to make her final decision when it arrivs.

So I'm thinking
2 yds of main fabic
2 yds of fabric c
and 1 yd of fabric b (center square)

Question- Any idea what size quilt this would turn out to be?

krafty14 03-07-2013 08:32 AM

2 yds of main fabic
2 yds of fabric c
and 1 yd of fabric b (center square)

If my calculations are correct :o), You will get 66 squares out of each of the 2 yard pieces (a & c). (11 6.5" strips cut into squares)This is really accurate cutting, and unwashed fabric.
You will cut 16 squares from the fabric b (3 6.5" strips cut into squares) You will have some of fabric b left (16"), but not quite enough for the binding, which is what I usually use. Maybe you can find another 1/4 yard of b. (Actually, if you get an extra 1/4 yard of a and c, you will be covered if you "slip".)
This should make 18 1/2" 9 patches. Then 18" DNP's. (17 1/2" finished).
Sewn together 4 x 4, it will make a 70 x 70 quilt.
Maybe someone else will double check my figures, but I hope that answers your question. (I like math) Ann

Question- Any idea what size quilt this would turn out to be?[/QUOTE]

irishrose 03-07-2013 08:34 AM

6 1/2" squares should make a block that is 18" - finishes to 17 1/2". 2 yards of A will give you 60 squares - might squeeze out 66 if you cut perfectly and the fabric doesn't shrink. 60 sq will do 15 blocks, but that's not a good number to work with. If you do 12 - 3 across X 4 down- the proportions will be better. 52 1/2 X 70 before any borders. You can increase the size by adding sashing between the blocks, too. You only need a half yard of C unless you are repeating it in your stopper strip before the borders or the binding.

What size quilt is your friend thinking of?