Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Materials to stabilize fabrics? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/materials-stabilize-fabrics-t69924.html)

newbie1001 10-13-2010 08:05 AM

Hi all,

I'm somewhat confused about all the materials that you can use to stabilize fabric when making purses etc. What's the difference between woven and non-woven interfacings? I have used Heat'nBond, although that's supposed to be for applique. What do you use?

Thanks!

littlehud 10-13-2010 08:07 AM

I use fusible fleece.

CoyoteQuilts 10-13-2010 08:12 AM

I sometimes make my own :).... Any fusible web that I have on hand (I have a whole bolt of something, but it works) and odd pieces of what ever batting I have left over. I purchased some batting from Jo-anns right after they remodeled and it was horrible! Shed, fluffed, flew, you name it. Last time I bought that brand, but had to use what I had. Worked okay for the purses I built (no not bow tucks....) Takes a little more time, but serves the purpose and that is less that goes to the landfill......

auntmag 10-13-2010 08:26 AM

I use Craft-bond and/or Decor-bond for my purses. The Decor-bond makes a stiffer purse. I also use the fusible fleece in some of my bags. The Heat and Bond is for joining two pieces of fabric together back to back. That will work if you want to fuse the lining to the outside of the bag. Woven interfacing is just what it says, it looks like a regular piece of fabric but has fusible on one side. The non-woven interfacing has no grain.

newbie1001 10-13-2010 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by auntmag
I use Craft-bond and/or Decor-bond for my purses. The Decor-bond makes a stiffer purse. I also use the fusible fleece in some of my bags. The Heat and Bond is for joining two pieces of fabric together back to back. That will work if you want to fuse the lining to the outside of the bag. Woven interfacing is just what it says, it looks like a regular piece of fabric but has fusible on one side. The non-woven interfacing has no grain.

What are the different applications for woven and non-woven?

ckcowl 10-13-2010 08:41 AM

there is a difference between a paper-back fusable web and an interfacing...fusable or not. fusable interfacing is only fusable on one side...not both sides. non-wovens are usually used on non-woven fabrics (knits) woven interfacing is used to stablize woven fabrics. there are different weights of interfacing, which one to use depends on the purpose and hopeful outcome. there are very lightweight ones, used for light weight fabrics (like silks) and there are really heavy-stiff interfacings like timtex (which is the same stuff used in baseball cap brims.) and everything inbetween. some people like to use fusable fleece in their bags/totes. it adds body/loft without stiffness.

newbie1001 10-13-2010 08:58 AM

Thanks a lot!

featherweight 10-13-2010 05:15 PM

Pelon fusible fleece. The same as the pattern calls for.

np3 10-13-2010 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
there is a difference between a paper-back fusable web and an interfacing...fusable or not. fusable interfacing is only fusable on one side...not both sides. non-wovens are usually used on non-woven fabrics (knits) woven interfacing is used to stablize woven fabrics. there are different weights of interfacing, which one to use depends on the purpose and hopeful outcome. there are very lightweight ones, used for light weight fabrics (like silks) and there are really heavy-stiff interfacings like timtex (which is the same stuff used in baseball cap brims.) and everything inbetween. some people like to use fusable fleece in their bags/totes. it adds body/loft without stiffness.

Good explanation!