Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   May I brag?, & a question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/may-i-brag-question-t70025.html)

marilynr 10-13-2010 08:04 PM

I am so excited, because I just made one of those tube square/table
runners that was shone on a tutorial. It was so easy & I machine
quilted it-----a first for me! And it was FUN!

I used spray adhesive to sandwich it, which was very nice & smooth.

Then I tried different decorative stitches to go around the 3 squares,
with SID inside each. And I outlined it all with another decorative
stitch. Can you tell I have a new sewing machine??? I was amazed
how easy & fun it was & how nice it turned out. I feel like a real
quilter!

You guys are such an encouraging group that you inspired me to try &
for that I really thank you. I wish I could post a picture, but I do not
have a digital camera, or I would. Maybe someday.
Hugs from Marilyn

THE QUESTION: I am using the backing as my front binding & need
to know what width to make it. Any suggestions??

trif 10-13-2010 08:09 PM

Well congratulations, you have definitely been bitten by the quilting bug! Enjoy yourself, maybe a friend or family member can take a photo so we can all see all you have accomplished, sounds fantastic.

CarrieAnne 10-13-2010 08:15 PM

Congrats! You ARE a REAL quilter!!!!!!

DebraK 10-13-2010 08:17 PM

What?! No Pictures? Yay, enjoy that quilter high ;-)

cjomomma 10-13-2010 08:24 PM

You should be excited and go ahead an brag on yourself. Congratulations!!!

np3 10-13-2010 08:30 PM

Are you wrapping the backing to the front, or are you cutting a piece to sew on? If you are cutting a strip to sew on, I would cut them about 2 inches. This gives you enough to wrap around and hand stitch. You can make it wider or narrower depending on how much of it you want to show on the front.

amma 10-13-2010 08:49 PM

Start out cutting it 1 1/2" wide all the way around, if it is too wide then cut it back another 1/4" or so :D:D:D

Congrats on your table runner!!!

marilynr 10-13-2010 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by np3
Are you wrapping the backing to the front, or are you cutting a piece to sew on? If you are cutting a strip to sew on, I would cut them about 2 inches. This gives you enough to wrap around and hand stitch. You can make it wider or narrower depending on how much of it you want to show on the front.

I am wrapping backing around to the front.

np3 10-13-2010 09:42 PM

Your batting should be squared off with the top. Fold the backing over at that edge to the front. You are going to turn under about 1/4 inch to hide the raw edges. Take a look at how much binding shows. If it is too much, then trim it down to the width that looks best. I usually let around 3/4" show on top.

You can pin it, or baste it. To make it look nicer on the top, try using one of the fancy stitches on your machine. This serves a dual purpose because it secures the raw edges better.

SueDor 10-14-2010 02:05 AM

When I do back to front binding I make the backing twice as big as I want the binding to be so I can fold it in half.