Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   McCalls Quilting magazine allowing us to use patterns in shows... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/mccalls-quilting-magazine-allowing-us-use-patterns-shows-t68108.html)

Quiltforme 10-03-2010 02:16 PM

"McCall's Quilting publications granting readers the right to publicly exhibit a quilt made using any McCall's Quilting pattern as long as proper credit is given to the designer (s) and McCall's Quilting." Starting next issue they will be putting a blanket notice in their magazines this is right out of this months issues they are stating that this is the first time that any magazine has done this and hope that other magazines follow. They stated due to the copyright laws and last months copyright laws story they decided to make this change.

I wanted to let you know I just received my magazine and extend cudo's to McCall's Quilting for taking this step to allow us to use the patterns with the proper credit! Lets turn this into a postive that some are recognizing the need for us quilters to use the patterns as long as we give the proper credit. Thank you all!!!

Scissor Queen 10-03-2010 02:49 PM

Gosh, so magnanimous to extend to you rights you already had.

akrogirl 10-03-2010 02:53 PM

I guess the letter writing and cancelled subscriptions had an effect after all ;-)

brushandthimble 10-03-2010 02:55 PM

Then I may reconsider getting their magazine. I have been letting all my subscriptions run out due the fact of the copyrights. Also why I spent the $ for EQ.

amma 10-03-2010 02:58 PM

This is great news! Thank you for sharing this with us :D:D:D
I hope the other magazines will follow suit :D

Millstream Mom 10-03-2010 03:03 PM

I never could understand why someone would publish, and inspire readers to attempt a project, then object. I guess I can start buying McCalls again!

pookie ookie 10-03-2010 04:39 PM

Kudos to whoever explained the law to them. Good news indeed (but still use your EQ7). :)

ghostrider 10-03-2010 04:51 PM

I sent McCall's editorial department a link to the thread(s) posted here about the reaction to their copyright article, so I'm sure what you all said had an impact on them.

I also contacted Quilter's World about their copyright policy as it was posted on another thread and sent them the link. They, too, now permit the use of their patterns in shows and for sale. The response I got from Quilters World follows below.

No matter what your stance on the copyright issue, both of these organizations have taken positive steps to make their readers happy so let's us try to be positive about what they've done.

Here's what Quilter's World said:

Dear *****,

I was forwarded your inquiry regarding the copyrights issue of making products from our patterns. I apologize that one of the customer service representatives used a very old script in replying to your inquiry.

We do not require that you obtain our permission for productions of projects made from our patterns, nor do we require that you indicate the copyrighted source of the pattern or idea. However, many people are interested in knowing the source of hand-crafted items, so it's a good feature to include when selling the project.

You can review our copyright bulletin if you have questions about our general copyright information. You can find the bulletin at http://www.drgnetwork.com/pages/copyrights/, or you can request a printed copy by sending a written request to:

Quilter’s World
Attn: Copyright information
306 East Parr Rd.
Berne, IN 46711-2159

I apologize for the inconvenience to you, and we wish you the best in all of your quilting! You may use this e-mail as verification that you can sell the products made from our patterns.

Warm regards,

***redacted****

Customer Relations Manager
DRG
Annie’s Attic, Clotilde, White Birches, Needlecraft Shop

JJs 10-03-2010 05:12 PM

How sweet - how utterly delightful!

Be that as it may, I'm still using EQ.

In the meantime, I talked to the lady who bought the quilt from me for a raffle - told her since I designed the quilt in EQ using public domain blocks, she can show the quilt, post/publish photos of the quilt, raffle the quilt, sell the quilt, etc etc.....

I told her all that, not because I want my name out front as the designer/quilter, but because if some self-appointed quilt police runs up and harasses her about it, she can say, "na na na na boo boo"

C.Cal Quilt Girl 10-03-2010 07:19 PM

Glad that this received a positive responce.