Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   McKenna Ryan Quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/mckenna-ryan-quilts-t265760.html)

sval 05-29-2015 04:23 AM

McKenna Ryan Quilts

She was on Fons and Porters tv show yesterday. Her quilts are beyond stunning. I had no idea they are all raw edge applique.
I went in search of after the show. There are lots of patterns to choose from. Small ones that can be combined with others to make a whole quilt.
I would love to try one. But I'd need a kit to be successful with all those color choices to be made. Not my strong point. The only kits that were in the "try it out" price range were snowmen.
A bed quilt kit was over $500. Not in this lifetime.
And also what about raw edge applique for a bed quilt? Seems it would only be safe for a wallhanging.

Has anyone done any of her patterns?

SVAL

ManiacQuilter2 05-29-2015 04:28 AM

My F&P show is on Saturday morning. What was the show number?? Patrick Lose was on last Saturday.

Lori S 05-29-2015 05:27 AM

They are just raw edge fusible... I would never use one as a bed quilt. I think they a beautiful... but like you have a strong aversion to the price.

katier825 05-29-2015 05:43 AM

I love them and love the way she uses color. But her patterns and kits are way too expensive for me.

Tartan 05-29-2015 06:07 AM

It looks like she uses batiks which fray less than regular cotton. As long as you stitched 1/8 inch inside all the pieces they would hold fine. Would I want to stitch inside every teeny tiny piece that her patterns have, nope not for me! Better suited to wall hangings in my opinion.

My cottage quilts 05-29-2015 06:13 AM

McKena Ryan

I have done several of her fusible appliqué quilt patterns: from scratch with her fabrics; and from purchasing small kits.
the only recommendation I can suggest is to read the instructions several times until you understand the process completely. Do not fuse anything until you have laid it out and are sure of your placement

ckcowl 05-29-2015 11:37 AM

I've made many of McKenna's patterns, a few block kits but most of the time use my own fabrics. I blanket stitch around my appliques. They are patterns that often appeal to guys, outdoorsy, the bed quilts have held up just fine. I don't make wall hangings. I use lots of wall hanging patterns & turn them into queen/king sized bed quilts. Fusible ( raw edge) applique stitched down last just fine. I've been a big fan of her patterns for well over 10 years.

yngldy 05-29-2015 01:15 PM

I made a bed quilt for my Grandson from an older pattern of hers. I enlarged the design and fused, then satin stitched the edges of the items in the design, just to make sure it held. As far as I know, it has held up. Haven't heard any complaints.

Weezy Rider 05-29-2015 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 7210650)
I've made many of McKenna's patterns, a few block kits but most of the time use my own fabrics. I blanket stitch around my appliques. They are patterns that often appeal to guys, outdoorsy, the bed quilts have held up just fine. I don't make wall hangings. I use lots of wall hanging patterns & turn them into queen/king sized bed quilts. Fusible ( raw edge) applique stitched down last just fine. I've been a big fan of her patterns for well over 10 years.

I did the same with the Otters playing in the snow. I don't trust ragged edge appliques and fusible.
http://www.pineneedles.com/ProductDe...ductCode=WFG06

coopah 05-29-2015 03:55 PM

Funny you should ask! I enjoy seeing the patterns and finally just decided to buy and try one of the patterns. It's not difficult, and I didn't use her fabrics, but similar. The background is what I couldn't get close to with fabric from stash.The end result is okay. I stitched as close as possible to the edge of the fabric. It's going to be a mug rug for someone who likes squirrels. Probably this is my first and last McKenna Ryan. I'm more into piecing than applique.