Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   is it me? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/me-t157695.html)

patricej 10-03-2011 11:10 AM

i know somebody who sometimes forgets and puts her bobbin in backward. that can make a mess of things.

can't tell you her name.
she lives in my mirror and eats my best snacks.

someday i will catch her and find out who the heck she is.

CarrieC 10-03-2011 11:13 AM

Welcome from VA

And make sure your needle is inserted correctly. I had the same type of problem and after many adjustments and thoughts someone suggested this. I flipped the needle and PRESTO all fixed.

Another thing is ensure the needle is correct for your machine. I have a machine that WILL NOT quilt with certain types of needles.

Good luck!

Dogwood Quilter 10-03-2011 01:05 PM

Welcome from SW Missouri and good luck with your quilting. You have gotten a lot of good advice already so keep trying.

quiltsRfun 10-03-2011 01:52 PM

Does it sew OK on just fabric with no batting? I'm thinking it's a threading issue. I know with my Viking I always sew a couple of lines before starting cause sometimes after changing the bobbin it tangles.

ube quilting 10-03-2011 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by pooks088

Originally Posted by BKrenning
Are you pulling up the bobbin thread before you start? That will leave a mess on the back. Also, check your bobbin tension. You should be able to smoothly pull out the bobbin thread with gentle pressure or if it's the front loading type of bobbin, you should be able to hold the thread in one hand and the bobbin will slowly drop into the other hand. Also, did you loosen the top tension and increase the stitch length? Quilting stitches are longer & looser than normal sewing stitches.

NO! I didn't know about pulling the bobbin thread to the top. I will try that and also will try adjusting the tension. So helpful! Thanks! (If only I could take the rest of the day off and go home to play around with it.. I'm antsy to get off work now! 6 more hours. Ha.)

Know how you feel. After 12 years of quilting I still can't wait to get home if I'm working on something and I try to sew for at least one hour every day, more if I can. The info above is all good stuff. Hope it works for you.
peace

ube quilting 10-03-2011 01:58 PM

Sorry Xpost

pocoellie 10-03-2011 02:47 PM

Also make sure you're putting the pressure foot down.

tabsmonsters 10-03-2011 03:19 PM

Mine does that if I don't have a good hold on both threads when I take the first few stitches. I did learn to just bring the bobbin thread to the top and that helps a lot!

marthahelen 10-03-2011 03:21 PM

If I forget to hold both threads when I make the first few stitches, then my bobbin thread gets all tangled and makes a bird's nest. Could this be your problem?

fabric_fancy 10-03-2011 03:25 PM

check for lint in the bobbin area - that used to happen to me when i used Connecting Threads cotton thread.