Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Meandering Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/meandering-question-t124550.html)

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 05-20-2011 05:01 PM

I am attempting to FMQ. It's not going as badly as it usually does, but I do have a few issues. I keep getting into areas where I have to top and reposition the quilt. Is it normal to turn the quilt 90 degrees while you are doing FMQ?

Holice 05-20-2011 05:03 PM

yes
you can't keep the quilt in the same postion/direction. you have to change when you loose control of your hands or when you need to move the quilt to another area.
Both hands should never leave the quilt. When that happens you loose control.

Stitchnripper 05-20-2011 05:11 PM

Yes, I agree with Holice. I have to do that sometimes too.

bamamama 05-20-2011 05:17 PM

I have the highest respect for anyone who can quilt on a domestic sewing machine. I bought a Brother Quattro 6000D for that reason and just could not do it. Well, I could do loopys but that's it.

I bought a Long Arm and am doing really well with that.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 05-20-2011 05:24 PM

OK, then I may not be doing too badly. The stitches are still irregular, but the quilt is so busy I think it will be alright.

Sandee 05-20-2011 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by bamamama
I have the highest respect for anyone who can quilt on a domestic sewing machine. I bought a Brother Quattro 6000D for that reason and just could not do it. Well, I could do loopys but that's it.

Lucky YOU! I want one!! but I was able to quilt a generous twin size baseball quilt on a 22 yr. old machine & it turned out pretty good. Just meander & stipple & outline. I did some practice swirls & patterns on a few others that are full size.. I'm no where near "good"- maybe OK :). Well, at least in the eyes of my family who know nothing about any sewing........

Carron 05-20-2011 07:54 PM

The more you do it the better you will get. I have an old sewng machine that goes forward and back...nothing fancy at all, but I can FM like anybodys business with that machine.
It just takes time and you will do great.
Keep your hands on the quild and re-adjust (turn) it as often as necessary....

Quilter7x 05-20-2011 07:59 PM

Yes, I have to reposition all the time. I make sure to do it with the needle in the down position and I'm very careful when taking the first stitches after repositioning. Keep going, sounds like you're doing great so far! :thumbup:

Rose L 05-20-2011 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by bamamama

Me too! :thumbup: :D

TonnieLoree 05-20-2011 08:16 PM

I find myself repositioning it all of the time. It depends (mostly to me) if I am piecing the batting as I go. I find it much easier to FMQ sections at a time by starting in the center and working in a circular pattern. By the time I get to the edges, I don't have to worry about any bulk to the right of the needle. I'm sure this is clear as mud.