Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Measure 3x cut once?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/measure-3x-cut-once-t309416.html)

juliasb 01-25-2020 08:27 AM

Measure 3x cut once??

I know the rule of thumb measure 2x cut once. Well I just did that on some of the last fabric I had for a top I am working on and ! I cut it wrong! I have one piece left to get 3 - 11 1/2" squares out of so I am taking a break and will go back to measuring again I can't afford another mistake.
I know we all make a cutting mistake here or there. How many would admit to what I just did and make the same mistake twice. I must get it right this last time or I am out of fabric!
The good thing is I will be able to make some nice pieces out of it for something else so not wasted.

Tartan 01-25-2020 08:38 AM

Yep, been there done that. I was being careful because fabric was tight to get my binding. Well I read my ruler wrong and cut it too narrow. All was not lost as I decided to use Charismah’s machine binding with flange instead.

Rhonda K 01-25-2020 08:53 AM

Oh dear, I'm with you on the mistakes. At least we can admit them and giggle about it.Take you time and cut it one more time.

I messed up marking lines for quilting a piece on the embroidery machine last week. It was a sampler piece with a 2 inch border. I marked one side at 2 1/2 inches. The class instructor says she never uses those type of regular OR half inch sided rulers due to the mistakes. Guess I should retire that one to ruler folding only.

PS: I've made the "same" mistake 3 times!

SusieQOH 01-25-2020 09:01 AM

I've done that so many times!!!
I just bought some cubes for my Accuquilt. I trust that thing more than me lol :)

NJ Quilter 01-26-2020 05:55 AM

Try putting a piece of tape/post it note on your ruler for your measurement. Can't tell you how many times I've read the ruler incorrectly!

luvstoquilt 01-26-2020 07:06 AM

Of course I have made cutting errors. Cutting strips is the worst for me..maybe it is because I am.eft-handed. I got an Accuquilt GO for strip cutting several years ago and I truly believe it has paid for itself.

juliasb 01-27-2020 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt (Post 8355015)
Of course I have made cutting errors. Cutting strips is the worst for me..maybe it is because I am.eft-handed. I got an Accuquilt GO for strip cutting several years ago and I truly believe it has paid for itself.

I just ordered a strip cutter for my Accuquilt GO me. I am looking forward to being able to cut accurate 2 1/2" strips

nativetexan 01-27-2020 08:52 AM

cut some paper that size and lay those out first.

Stitchnripper 01-27-2020 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan (Post 8355329)
cut some paper that size and lay those out first.

great idea! I have made a lot of mistakes.

tranum 01-27-2020 06:57 PM

I can’t remember the last time I made a cutting mistake then last night I made 3 ! After the 3rd, I shut off the lights and went upstairs !