Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Mechanical vs. Computerized Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/mechanical-vs-computerized-machine-t131505.html)

ontheriver 06-18-2011 08:19 PM

I just love my old mechanical Singers and also like the knee control. I have computerized but don't really care for them and only use them when I have to. My Singer 401 has enough fancy stitches for what I do. I had an expensive Viking Saphire I just hated so I sent it to my sister when her machine died.

cctx. 06-18-2011 08:47 PM

Mechanical for me.

I'm afraid to invest in the computerized machines for now.

Stitchit123 06-18-2011 09:15 PM

I'm just barely above the computer illiterate category I can post a reply :D So there is no way I'd ever attempt a computerzed sewing machine besides its only been a few years since I started using an electric sewing machine :lol:

annesthreads 06-18-2011 11:48 PM

I've recently acquired a Featherweight and love its simplicity and its beautiful stitch, and am now considering looking for a bigger vintage machine for quilting. But then yesterday I was playing with the decorative stitches on my Janome and had a great time - realised that I could be doing so much more with this machine. For me, computerised and mechanical both have their place.

CoventryUK 06-19-2011 12:00 AM

I was 'seduced' into buying a computerized machine when I first started quilting, Husqvarna Orhidea, I only ever used it as a mechanical machine, knew nothing about computers! Rarely used the embroidery attachment!! 3 years ago traded it for Sapphire 870 which I much prefer!! I just need a good workhorse!!! Love to see all the wonderful work produced on computerized machines, just not for me!!! Would love to treat myself to a Featherweight next!!!! I can dream can't I???

quilterella 06-19-2011 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by so-sew
Would you please tell me which you prefer and why. What is it that the computerized machines do that the mechanical ones can't, other than more decorative stitches and alphabet, etc.? I have both, and to tell you the truth, I think I enjoy my mechanical machine more. Does that make me nuts? :|

I like the extra features the computerized ones offer. The needle up/down, the thread cutter, the stop/go button ( no need for a foot pedal, which, with MS really works well for the legs). I don't use it to its fullest compacity I'm sure, but, what I do use, I use lots.

meemersmom 06-19-2011 03:56 AM

Like everyone else, I like both for different reasons. For straight stitch and piecing, you can't beat a FW. But, the needle down/presser foot up function on my computerized model is the absolute greatest when I'm making another of my postage stamp quilts. Don't think I would have made as many if I had to do them on a mechanical machine.

Maia B 06-19-2011 05:07 AM

Yes, I love both. I love the deco stitches of computerized machines. But I know that each computerized machine has a much more limited lifespan. If only my mechanicals had needle-down, though. That's the only feature they lack that I really miss. And are there any mechanicals with adjustable pressure foot pressure? I've had that sweet 930 out and purring for a few days now, and I just love her so. I call her WINNIE because she came from Wisconsin and I think on 1/11/11 (all the vertical lines in the date and her name). She doesn't have adjustable foot pressure, but she's perfectly adjusted for piecing. I love solid metal machines.

so-sew 06-19-2011 06:18 AM

Hello, Maia! Good to hear from you. I know I've seen mechanicals with adjustable presser foot pressure, but they were older machines. The 1031 Bernie that I'm in love with doesn't , and you're right about that being a design flaw. Glad to hear you're spending quality time with your 930 girl. :P

Rose Marie 06-19-2011 06:39 AM

I have both kinds of machines and have come to the conclusion that I will use my computer machine only for what I cannot do with the mechanical.
It costs alot to keep up a computer so why use it for simple piece work. I do love the needle down function and use it alot, just wish it was on my mech machine.