Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   mediacom ads in clinton, iowa (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/mediacom-ads-clinton-iowa-t164590.html)

annretired 10-31-2011 04:39 AM

I am just wondering if anyone else who has "mediacom" for their internet provider, has problems with the inappropriate side ads on the board??? I know it is not something the board is doing, as I was just in St. Louis for almost a week. I have NO problem with such ads when there. So, it seems apparent to me that it is "mediacom's" doing. Am wondering how to deal with this. :(

Yarn or Fabric 10-31-2011 04:43 AM

I'm not sure what you think is inappropriate.. It just looks like ads to me.. which will help pay the cost of the board's hosting fees.
But then... I tune them out mostly. I don't have a Macy's store withing 3 hours of my house. Not a biggie. I guess I'm just used to tuning out ads online.

EIQuilter 10-31-2011 05:03 AM

I have Mediacom and haven't seen any inappropriate ads.

QuiltnNan 10-31-2011 05:57 AM

since i switched to Firefox for my browser, internet life is much nicer. i occasionally use IE and the ads are worse there.

NanaCsews2 10-31-2011 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
since i switched to Firefox for my browser, internet life is much nicer. i occasionally use IE and the ads are worse there.

I agree. Firefox works so smoothly when on this Board. When I use IE, which I have to when accessing my DH job site, constantly shuts down on me. I stay off that as much as possible. Very very little ads or problems with Firefox.

Rose Marie 10-31-2011 06:40 AM

In Phoenix and have Quest high speed. One ad at top of page and one from board at bottom. Dont notice either.

QKO 10-31-2011 06:59 AM

The ads on this board appear to be provided by google ads. They really have nothing to do with your local service provider.

The ads will be different for each user. Depending on what you've been browsing on or searching for recently, google's algorithms determine what you might be interested in, and supply ads along those lines.

So, if most of the searches done on your computer are for quilting supplies, you'll see a preponderance of ads for quilting related products and sites.

Depending on your definition of "inappropriate," you might want to check on what you, or others that use your browser, have been looking at recently on your computer.

So, for instance, if you're seeing a lot of ads for places that sell say, air compressors, you might get a clue as to what your husband has been looking at online. :)

susie-susie-susie 10-31-2011 08:21 AM

I recently got a new computer. My son talked me into getting an Apple. It's wonderful--no more pop-up adds. He kept saying that I would like the Apple. He was right. Only problem now is learning all over again how to use it since it works different from my old computer.
Sue

Becka 10-31-2011 10:48 AM

I don't see ads. Where are you all seeing them?

Maia B 10-31-2011 08:48 PM

I've noticed that the ads tend to have something to do with the thread, even if the connection is tenuous.