Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Medical Scrubs (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/medical-scrubs-t143522.html)

peaceandjoy 08-08-2011 02:26 AM

DD will be doing internships this year and needs to wear scrubs. Have any of you made them, and if so, do you have any tips or patterns that you can recommend? She's tiny - a size 0 or 2.

dd 08-08-2011 03:08 AM

Not sure patterns go that small. You may have to make some adjustments there. Scrubs are not hard and there are so many fabrics out there she will be the talk of her class. You may just start something and have to make for all the interns. I prefer the lighter colors because the darker & brighter ones fade so bad, if youre using 100% cotton. I made one that has stretch sides and the girls really like that pattern. The one girls nickname is Care Bear so naturally I made her a Care Bear top. No one else has one. Looking for old Strawberry Shortcake fabric for another girl but can only find flannel and new SSC. Good luck.

quiltinghere 08-08-2011 03:56 AM

how about getting an old scrub, modify it and use that as a pattern?

Cherylsea 08-08-2011 04:40 AM

KwikSew #3708 has an XS pattern - though I would make a test model unless you are good with measuring a pattern to be sure it fits. I think there is one in the new less expensive patterns at Wal-mart.

MawMaw B 08-08-2011 05:14 AM

Maybe check the children sizes in patterns. Maybe there is a pattern in the costume section or even regular. They should be easy to sew. No darts, zippers, etc.

debbiecharlie 08-08-2011 05:30 AM

I have the same problem for my daughter...although I haven't made her scrub tops, I've made some jackets, and I've used older patterns and modified. I found those worked better for us....so before going to buy new pattern, check out your existing patterns....something may work for you. And check in the children's section as well. Good luck!!!

LisaGibbs 08-08-2011 05:31 AM

My sil isn't that tiny but I made her scrub tops because she was in the same situation that your dd is in and I had a blast at making them. Be sure that before you make a bunch that they are not going with one uniform color as some are right now. I do know she prefers to have the pants have the elastic at the ankles too and because she is so tall she liked mine because they fit perfect. The patterns are almost boxy so cutting them down should not be that much of a headache. Best of luck!!

Cybrarian 08-08-2011 05:37 AM

Would a cotton poly blend work? Just thinking of something that might only need touch up ironing or none if "WrInkle Release" is used (love that stuff) as opposed to the ironing a 100% cotton would need.

watterstide 08-08-2011 05:40 AM

yes, walmarts has the patterns for them and much cheaper than anywhere else. i want to say $2.50

also, just a thought.
join freecycle.org
in your area,and get maybe some free.

check the second hand shops, buy one, and use it as a pattern, just take it apart.

BellaBoo 08-08-2011 05:46 AM

Oh, do her a great big favor and buy her Gray's Anatomy scrubs! My DD is an RN and all the hospital staff love these scrubs. They make every body type look great in them. DD has tried them all and I've made a few sets for her but fitting them to look not baggy or slouchy is a hassle.