Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   In Memorium Blanche Young (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/memorium-blanche-young-t274281.html)

Ada Shiela 01-08-2016 03:43 PM

In Memorium Blanche Young

TQS have today announced the sad passing of Blanche Young aged 96 on 2nd January 2016; I recently sourced fabrics for Navajo from her book Tradition with a Twist 1996 which has been sitting on a shelf until I saw a post on QB 13th April 2015. All sub cutting is done and ready for piecing. RIP Blanche and thanks for your inspiration.

ManiacQuilter2 01-08-2016 03:49 PM

I had been wondering how she was doing. She lived in Orange County and I got to know her well. She started a quilt guild in Garden Grove. She loved shopping for fabrics at M*&L fabric digging thru the flat-folds. She then moved out to a desert community and then I had heard that she moved again out of state. She was a marvelous women with a good sense of humor and the ability to take the ugliest fabrics and make them in a beautiful quilt. Thanks for posting this information. So many of the women I learned my quilting skills from are mostly dead now. What a talented woman.

Dina 01-08-2016 04:31 PM

I love her book, Tradition with a Twist. Two of my favorite quilts have been made using patterns from that book, one of those was Navajo! It would have been an honor to know her.

Dina

Onebyone 01-08-2016 06:42 PM

Oh, I use to live in Garden Grove! I wasn't a quilter then though. Sad I didn't get to know who she was. I do have her book Tradition with a Twist. Who doesn't have it, it's a great quilt book.

Ada Shiela 01-10-2016 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by Dina (Post 7428155)
I love her book, Tradition with a Twist. Two of my favorite quilts have been made using patterns from that book, one of those was Navajo! It would have been an honor to know her.

Dina

It was your quilt shown here in April 2015 which aspired me anew to find the pattern and then realized I'd had the book for some time. I hope you'll take it as a compliment to hear that I chose the same beautiful colours as you did.

JustAbitCrazy 01-10-2016 04:12 AM

So sorry to hear. I have two of her books. (That quilt's on my bucket list.)

Dodie 01-10-2016 04:26 AM

So sad to hear I was fortunate enough to get to take a class from her at a quilting retreat many years ago
she was a wonderful teacher

illinois 01-10-2016 04:48 AM

I'm not familiar with this designer. Looking online, the book mentioned doesn't have a picture on the front indicating what might be inside. Are these patterns using the twister rulers? Is there a site with pictures of her quilts?

Trene 01-10-2016 05:45 AM

I discovered her book when I inherited my mothers stash. I've done the basic blooming nine-patch, and hope to do more of her designs. She was truly a visionary!

equigle5 01-10-2016 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by illinois (Post 7429476)
I'm not familiar with this designer. Looking online, the book mentioned doesn't have a picture on the front indicating what might be inside. Are these patterns using the twister rulers? Is there a site with pictures of her quilts?

I found the book on Amazon and you can "take a look inside". It can give you an idea of the type of quilts.