Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Memory Quilt - Mom's Clothing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/memory-quilt-moms-clothing-t227804.html)

salemrabbits 08-15-2013 02:37 AM

just did a memory quilt for my mom from my dads flannel shirts and a pair of jeans- came out fine. I have fabric left over and will use it in string and crumb blocks. I entered the quilt in the fair, hope it does well.

ar007tornado 08-15-2013 04:29 AM

BELIEVE ME WHEN I SAY: It CAN be done and it is a MOST wonderful feeling when finished. I made three 50 X 60 quilts for a lady from her mom's clothing. All kinds of fabric, thick, thin, in between. I just used very thin shirt interfacing, ironed it on, cut 12 x 12 squares and sewed them together. Put a 3 inch border around edge. Granted you'll have to go around collars and buttons when quilting , but the end result if fabulous, specially to the person you make it for. If I can do it, I'll post a picture of one of them. Now, they can be rather heavy, so make them smaller than queen size.

CoalTownQuilter 08-15-2013 01:18 PM

Thank you ALL for your tips and ideas! Please, please, please.....feel free to post pictures of what you have done.

GrannieAnnie 08-15-2013 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by CoalTownQuilter (Post 6230328)
I saved alot of my Mom's clothing after she passed away a year and a half ago with the intentions of making memory quilts for me and my two brothers. It took some time for me to get into the right "mind set" to do the task but just this past weekend I FINALLY got up the nerve to sort through the bins. There are alot of rayon/cotton blends, poly/cotton blends, some knits, and a few sweatshirts adorned with her beloved butterflies. Of course, I did find some cotton pajamas, but not as much as I was hoping for. Do I even bother using the non-cotton clothing?? Would you recommend using a stabilizer?

It's your quilt, your mom and your memories. Use what you want. I'd keep heavy double knits for the back, however.

The t-shirts and the rayons could probably use some light weight interfacing.

GrannieAnnie 08-15-2013 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 (Post 6230666)
A good stabilizer is Pellon SF 101 - it is an iron on which adds nice stability to fabric. I've never worked with those blends either so can't offer any advise on that.

I've used poly/cotton and rayons more than once.

GrannieAnnie 08-15-2013 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by CoalTownQuilter (Post 6232542)
These quilts would definitely be utility quilts!

Mom's stuff in a utility quilt?

My time 08-15-2013 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by debquilts2 (Post 6230771)
do a foundation string quilt you can use any fabric.

I was going to suggest this also. You also could make a crazy quilt. Using a stabilizer or foundation you could use all this fabric. I have have made three memory quilts using all types of fabrics. Look forward to seeing what you come up with.

CoalTownQuilter 08-16-2013 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie (Post 6236094)
Mom's stuff in a utility quilt?

Yep......meaning it would get used and not stuffed into a closet.