Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Menorah or cross manipulation? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/menorah-cross-manipulation-t297674.html)

Annaquilts 06-20-2018 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by PamelaOry (Post 8077780)
If anything, I think using the fabric in your designs shows a type of embracing of the religions. If it were my “thing” I think I would seek out interesting art made from my religious symbols.

I think this closely describes what I feel about it.

beatys9 06-22-2018 06:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
So it turns out that cutting up the menorah fabric was the least of my issues... Getting my topper to lay flat is turning into a major challenge though. I'll need to do more quilting than planned. Attached are photos the topper in the baste stitches & the original fabric. I've done this pattern a few times before but not in a while so I must have gotten a little sloppy on cutting...

QuiltE 06-22-2018 07:21 PM

Nicely Done!!!

After all the discussions, the results are quite showy, and definitely no disrespect.
The Menorah are whole and work so perfectly with that kaleido design, as do the Jewish Stars.
Great job on all the FC work!

ECUFAN 06-22-2018 07:40 PM

Your work is beautiful and something that I would display all year. The star of David is perfectly placed, and your 7 candle menorah, although not the 9 candle Hanukkah menorah, is the likeness of the 7 candle sanctuary menorah and a symbol of Israel. Really well done and very complimentary of our faith, in my opinion.

SillySusan 06-22-2018 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by RuthiesRetreat3 (Post 8079259)
The cross may be a symbol of torture, but it is also a symbol of salvation, mercy, forgiveness, eternal love. The menorah is a symbol of a miracle that occurred, thru God,during a time of crisis. ...

IMHO Because of the deeply held beliefs of many people, both Christians and Jews, I would be hesitant about using these symbols in any way that may offend anyone. I am a Christian and some "modern art" is offensive. If I were thinking about doing what you are suggesting, I would think very carefully about it and, maybe even talk to a priest, pastor and rabbi about it. Better safe than sorry.

Sandygirl 06-23-2018 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by RuthiesRetreat3 (Post 8079259)
The cross may be a symbol of torture, but it is also a symbol of salvation, mercy, forgiveness, eternal love. The menorah is a symbol of a miracle that occurred, thru God,during a time of crisis. It matters not how you use the fabric, it will be a symbol of your skill.

Amen! So true. Beautifully articulated. I wish that I had been able to express such a wonderful summation of the two religious symbols.

And, yes, the photos are stunning! What a gorgeous result!

patricej 06-23-2018 02:01 AM

I love it! :thumbup:

Sandygirl 06-23-2018 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by Mrs Finch (Post 8078350)
My opinion is better to not turn menorahs into crosses. You could think of it another way, such as would you use marijuana printed fabric?

Pot fabric is produced in 4 colorways...I ran across them at a QS in....wait for it...Denver😂. I purchased the green to make a ..pot holder. (Just for fun). No i do not smoke pot, won’t start. I believe there is medicinal value to it (supervised) but I also have seen the negative side of prolonged use of it in my own family. Such a waste of life to be stoned...often.

Sandygirl 06-23-2018 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by SillySusan (Post 8080644)
IMHO Because of the deeply held beliefs of many people, both Christians and Jews, I would be hesitant about using these symbols in any way that may offend anyone. I am a Christian and some "modern art" is offensive. If I were thinking about doing what you are suggesting, I would think very carefully about it and, maybe even talk to a priest, pastor and rabbi about it. Better safe than sorry.

As a Christain practicing a liturgical denomination, unless the fabric , icon etc is BLESSED, it is not being disrespectful to use the fabric in projects. We don’t worship “things” though we do use items in the worship service. Think...the Eucharist. The Priest will bless the elements (host and wine) not the chalice, etc) . She is good to go.

QuiltE 06-23-2018 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by SillySusan (Post 8080644)

However ..... did you look at the piece that Beatys9 made?
Nothing is cut with the symbols left whole.
The results were very tasteful and IMHO would be come "wanted" faith representative items.