Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Mess up (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/mess-up-t63481.html)

Judygod 09-07-2010 04:41 AM

I recently completed a crib size machine embroidery and squares quilt for my soon to arrive niece/nephew. I quilted it with my Janome/grace frame and was so happy to have it completed. Alas when I took it off the frame the back is a mess!! Possibly the result of my granddaughters turning the tension dials when I was not looking.... A word of advice to all quilters, check your tension dials before quilting. It truly is what they call a "scrap quilt". Now I need to get a dog so he can have a nice quilt bed!!!

champagnebubbles 09-07-2010 05:00 AM

Awww :(

SuziC 09-07-2010 05:31 AM

That's terrible!!

ckcowl 09-07-2010 05:31 AM

i keep a mirror tile on my quilting table, everytime i walk away, change bobbins, shut the machine off, turn it back on after 2-3 inches i use that mirror to look at my back and make sure nothing is amiss...
after screwing up one time and spending 6 hours taking a 12" strip of quilting out of a quilt i learned my lesson, i stop and look pretty much everytime i start and get going again. so sorry this happened to you, it is definitly difficult to remove a mess from the back of a quilt :(

dkabasketlady 09-07-2010 06:28 AM

I'm so sorry this has happened to you after all the work that you've done, but this can be used as a "picnic" quilt. I guess your DGD's wanted to help! I keep the door closed on my sewing room when my DGC are here for a visit, maybe I need to put a lock on the door also.

sueisallaboutquilts 09-07-2010 06:54 AM

Bummer!! Sorry that happened to you :(

QUILT4JOY 09-07-2010 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Judygod
I recently completed a crib size machine embroidery and squares quilt for my soon to arrive niece/nephew. I quilted it with my Janome/grace frame and was so happy to have it completed. Alas when I took it off the frame the back is a mess!! Possibly the result of my granddaughters turning the tension dials when I was not looking.... A word of advice to all quilters, check your tension dials before quilting. It truly is what they call a "scrap quilt". Now I need to get a dog so he can have a nice quilt bed!!!

:idea: You could also cover the wrecked back with another piece of fabric and tack it in a few places.

Mamagus 09-07-2010 10:52 AM

OH but it isn't junk! Just add another backing to it. It will make if functional even if it isn't pretty!!

sueisallaboutquilts 09-07-2010 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by QUILT4JOY

Originally Posted by Judygod

:idea: You could also cover the wrecked back with another piece of fabric and tack it in a few places.

You know, I thought the same thing!! Maybe even flannel??
I would try it :D

Judygod 09-08-2010 05:09 AM

Great ideas!! Thanks so much. I love the mirror tile idea!