Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Metal or plastic bobbins? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/metal-plastic-bobbins-t204146.html)

coffeebreak 10-24-2012 03:25 PM

Metal or plastic bobbins?

I just saw some metal bobbins. My machine came with plastic and that seems to have been what they all are these days...and prior. But I saw some metal ones for my new Singer...what's your thoughts....metal or plastic bobbins? Does the metal make the bobbin spin smoother and easier than plastic? Any pros/cons for either?

Daylesewblessed 10-24-2012 03:40 PM

I don't know about new machines that started out with plastic bobbins, but many have said that their machines that started with metal bobbins don't like the plastic ones.

I have seen many plastic bobbins that are warped out of shape, and that can't be giving optimum results.

Dayle

nativetexan 10-24-2012 03:43 PM

some machines only take one type of bobbin. what type does your manual say? talk to the place you bought your machine from too for more info. My Janome uses plastic and my old Singer did too but they are different from each other.

TeriD 10-24-2012 03:45 PM

My machine came with plastic bobbins and that's what I used for years. But then when I took my machine in to be serviced, it came back with a couple of metal bobbins and they are SO much better. The machine runs much smoother with the metal bobbins. I like them so much I went out and bought a bunch more.

mermaid 10-24-2012 04:55 PM

I've been told that metal bobbins in metal cases (shuttles?) and plastic in plastic bobbin cases...and heard you should never use metal in the plastic cases. I have both types of cases and both types of bobbins, and the bobbins are almost all interchangeable---so I'd like to know for sure, if anyone has indisputable information. It would be soooo convenient to grab the thread color I need w/o considering first if it's metal or plastic bobbin. Thanks for any input.

franc36 10-24-2012 05:36 PM

The machines I have now all use metal bobbins only. A machine that I used for 20 years before giving it to my granddaughter has plastic bobbins. I never had a problem with the plastic bobbins; but I do love the metal bobbins. They are more expensive though and I tend to want lots of bobbins.

Lilrain 10-24-2012 05:45 PM

I only used the metal bobbins in my featherweight. I use the plastic in my pfaff. Some machines need the plastic as they have indicators to tell when your bobbin thread is running out. they need to "see" how much thread is left on the bobbin

Scissor Queen 10-24-2012 05:48 PM

You can have tension problems by using a different bobbin than what your machine came with.

barny 10-24-2012 05:55 PM

When I put plastic bobbins on my old singer, sometimes they get little grooves cut into the sides of them and makes the thread break. But I haven't found metal ones for it. I just have to make sure and use good plastic and keep on checking them for breaks in them.

Central Ohio Quilter 10-24-2012 08:09 PM

I use both in my 43 year old Singer. I have noticed that some of my older plastic bobbins may deteriorate and crack, but other than that, I don't notice any difference in how the machine works.