Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   metallic fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/metallic-fabric-t302280.html)

TAMARATJO 01-15-2019 07:02 AM

metallic fabric

I was shopping on-line for fabric yesterday and realized something. I found some fabric I really liked, but on closer inspection found out it was metallic. Or had metallic thread in parts of it. Hopefully you know what I mean. I instantly decided not to purchase the fabric although I really liked it otherwise. I am all for some metallic in Christmas fabric, but not for "regular" quilting fabric.

How do you feel about metallic fabric? Would you use it in a regular quilt? Posting this out of curiosity.

zennia 01-15-2019 07:17 AM

I was at a meeting at a quilt shop last year and was told metallic was the in thing for 2019. We were each given a layer cake with it in the fabric. I don't care for it now but maybe someday I will.

crackers 01-15-2019 07:59 AM

I wouldn't put it in a quilt. I have several wall hangings that have metallic fabric in them. The metallic fabric used in the hangings really adds an elegant touch to my wall decor.

feline fanatic 01-15-2019 08:12 AM

All the "metallic" fabric I have ever seen is printed on. There are not metallic threads, it is one of the inks used to print the design. It is very common in Asian themed fabrics and I have used it in quilts extensively. On some of the inks used to print the design the metallic shimmery look can eventually wash out leaving a gold colored design behind without the sparkle. I have not had that happen to me but most of the quilts I have made I have given away. It seems to be holding up quite well in this one: https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictur...g-t275921.html

I would not hesitate to use fabric with metallic inks in the print in any quilt.

Macybaby 01-15-2019 08:53 AM

I love it and never thought twice about putting it in a quilt. I'm also a big van of Asian prints, and like FF said, it's very common in them.

Iceblossom 01-15-2019 09:01 AM

I've seen but I haven't used the latest round of very metallic prints, where most of the fabric is metallic looking. I have, however, used metallic fabrics in my quilts for decades.

I have no problems with putting in metallic embellished fabrics in my scrap quilts. Every person though has their own standards, so some don't want any metallics just like others don't want homespuns, but they are both welcome in my process. They hold up well, aren't noticeably a different texture and basically I have no problems with them.

I haven't quilted it down yet but recently I made a baby quilt with a small amount of metallic interest in it. After quite some hemming and hawing, I finally decided to quilt it down with a non-scratchy metallic thread (the early metallic threads used to be dreadful). It did well in my testing, but I don't know how well it will hold up to lots of washing, so maybe I'll declare it a small couch throw instead. I'm almost done quilting my current top -- the metallic one is next. Unfortunately, I'm not really happy with the batting I chose, I think it is too thick but I've already spray-basted the top so I'm going with what I got.

PS: I just found out yesterday I'm going to be a grandma for the first and probably only time! Yay me and yay baby quilts and especially yay grandbabies :)

RJLinkletter 01-15-2019 01:52 PM

I love the metallics (probably because I am mesmerised by the Asian fabrics in general!). Subtlety is the key I think. Shimmer and shine rather than in your face

Tartan 01-15-2019 01:54 PM

​If the price is right and I like it, I use it.

cashs_mom 01-15-2019 02:28 PM

I like some metallic fabrics. As others have said, it's used extensively in Asian fabrics and I really like those. I don't know about the "thing" for 2019. I don't really keep up with the latest and greatest, but I've been using them for 20 years in pieced garments and quilts.

recycler 01-15-2019 05:09 PM

Congrats to you, Iceblossom on your new little one coming! I'm sure your mind is spinning! Have fun designing those new quilts!