Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Metallic thread problems (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/metallic-thread-problems-t227345.html)

eparys 08-06-2013 04:59 AM

I have never tried metalic on my longarm but have used it in both my embroidery machine and piecing machine. When I do use it, I have found that the top stitching needle works best for me. It has a bigger eye and the grove where that thread runs is longer and more pronounced. I also slow way down.

debquilts2 08-06-2013 05:06 AM

I use a larger top stich needle and I loosen my tension down to about a 2. Hope this helps . and I also try it out on something else first to make sure my tension is right.

romanojg 08-06-2013 05:10 AM

I love using metallic but I wouldn't use it on a quilt. I don't think it would hold up to all the use and washing plus it will wear harder on the fabric. I normally only use cotton thread on cotton fabric unless I don't care if the longevity is there for the quilt;like for a tag a long for a kid. If I really wanted the scheen then I'd go with a poleyster because it will hold up to mulitple washing better than the rayon I normally use for embroidery items. That being said, I used rayon to make my daughters tshirt for work, it has her name and a picture of a dog getting a bath in an old fashioned tup (she's a groomer) and it gets washed alot and has held up really well. If heavy use and washing isn't going to happen with the quilt then I guess it doesn't matter what thread is used.

Now, one thing that helps a lot when using metallic besides making sure you have the correct needle is that if you put your spool down behind your machine so that the thread comes off the top. I used this thread successfully without using metallic needles but you have to have the correct size, if I didn't have a metallic needle then I'd use a topstitch. With my machine it automatically adjust the tension so that has never been an issue. Before using thread conditioner on your thread check with you machine dealer, they normally don't recommend it for the newer machines. But if all the other things you've been told don't work, try it. I would make sure to use a scrap sandwhich square to practice on to make sure its all going well before I'd do the actuall quilt. Good luck and post pics

JudyMN 08-06-2013 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic (Post 6218050)
The fact that NONE of the people you asked in the fabric store suggested you need a special needle for metallic threads says a lot! I have a feeling you were not in a quilt shop but a big box store. (the "stiff linen also says volumes!). That should have given you a bit of a clue they had no idea what you were trying to do or how to go about doing it.

First time I bought metallic at an LQS as soon as the lady saw it in my hand, she said you need special needles for that. I think you will notice a huge difference once you buy the metallic thread needles, loosen your top tension a bit and slow down. Hope you bought several spools because the metallics tend to have less yardage per spool and a stipple will use up a lot of metallic in a very short period of time. I went through almost two spools doing a table runner.

You are right. It was a big box store. Thanks to all who have given suggestions. I should have come here first! I will get a metallic needle and possibly some rayon thread to try. Thankfully I did start on a sample scrap so I do not have to take out any stitches.

Aria 08-18-2013 06:06 AM

When I've had major breakage problems with metallic thread, even after using the correct needles, I've found that putting the thread in the bobbin works quite well. Just turn your project over, so the bobbin thread shows on the top.

nativetexan 08-18-2013 06:32 AM

I love gold Rayon thread. I've done meandering with it but not stippling though. large eye needle helps!