Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Metallic thread (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/metallic-thread-t257094.html)

smc53 11-20-2014 09:42 AM

Metallic thread

I am making a Christmas block for an exchange and I want to use metallic thread...any tips or advice anyone can share? I have never used metallic thread and have been told it is hard to work with. Thanks for your help.

BerninaGirl 11-20-2014 09:46 AM

Be open to the new adventure, don't be afraid to adjust tension.

Make sure to do a test first, and the test needs to have the same number of layers and be made out of the same fabric you want to do use the metallic thread on.

PaperPrincess 11-20-2014 10:16 AM

Use the special metallic needle for your machine. I use regular poly or cotton thread in the bobbin to match the metallic thread. You also may need to experiment with how the thread comes off the spool. might need to use a thread stand and a thread net.
To be honest if you use a quality thread, it's not much more difficult than any other thread.

feline fanatic 11-20-2014 10:32 AM

Ditto what PP said, especially about the needle.

zennia 11-20-2014 10:53 AM

I have been sewing with metallic thread all week. Like you I had many questions before I started. My LQS suggested I buy and use a product called Sewers Aid by Collins. They said use a jean needle but I used topstitch and slow down. i have not had any trouble at all.
Good luck, I am having a lot of fun with it.
I forgot to add how to use it. just run a fine line down the spool of thread.

Knitette 11-20-2014 10:56 AM

Are you going to FMQ? If so, you'll be surprised at how much you'll need to adjust your top tension. Also, use a good quality thread (I like Superior) as well as a 90/14 Metallic or Topstitch (same) needle. Happy quilting :)

GrannieAnnie 11-20-2014 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by smc53 (Post 6977033)
I am making a Christmas block for an exchange and I want to use metallic thread...any tips or advice anyone can share? I have never used metallic thread and have been told it is hard to work with. Thanks for your help.

Take yourself to a quilt shop and ask for a needle for metallic thread. anything short of that, and You'll be crying.

cashs_mom 11-20-2014 03:33 PM

I've used a lot of metallic thread in my machine. Mostly Sulky. I agree, use a Metallica needle, Sewers Aid and loosen your top tension. I sew on a Bernina Artista 180 and have to loosen the top tension down to 0 for some threads. I've also used a synthetic bobbin thread which doesn't seem to catch as much as cotton threads. Good luck and have fun!

dottie dodge 11-20-2014 03:40 PM

I agree with what has been said. Use a metallic needle , adjust the tensions, and slow the speed. I did some quilting last year with metallic and used a size 14 jeans needle . The metallic needle kept shredding my thread. Metallic thread can be temperamental and testy but so worth the effort.

Leonita 11-20-2014 04:15 PM

ditto the above & if thread (of any kind ) is shredding turn spool so thread feeds the opposite way. Like fish scales go with them & not against.