Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Metallic Thread (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/metallic-thread-t40906.html)

bstanbro 03-27-2010 03:48 PM

Okay, will someone tell me the secret to using metallic thread without having it break. I'm using a 90/14 sharp needle. What else can I do? Or is this just what I can expect with metallic thread?

katei 03-27-2010 03:59 PM

I wish I knew - I've given up on using metallic thread and instead use a strong, gold embrodiery thread. Since doing this I've had absolutely no problems. Like you I've tried the 90/14 needle, but nothing seems to work.

Maride 03-27-2010 04:04 PM

The only metallic thread I have found that didn't break was from bobbincentral.com. It has beautiful shine and works great. I did sew very slowly with it.

nursie76 03-27-2010 04:06 PM

I have used Metallic thread twice and only had a few breaks. I used a metafil needle and went slowly as was suggested by the lady at the LQS.

bstanbro 03-27-2010 04:56 PM

Yes, my sewing machine manual suggests a metafil needle. I don't know what that is. If I go to the lqs and look at the needles will it be obvious?

Kathy N 03-27-2010 04:58 PM

Metafil needle will definitely help. It has a bigger eye and will allow the thread more space to pass through. You sometimes have to lower your tension too just slightly. There is a product called sewers aid that is a lubrication you can put on your thread to help it glide through the fabric. It does not stain fabric. All of these items are available through fabric stores like Joanns or Hancocks. Another hint is to put your spool upright on a spool pin, turn your spool cap upside down and set the spool on it. It will turn easier. Hope that helps!!!

bstanbro 03-27-2010 05:01 PM

And so the metafil needle? Will the package be marked that way. I'm not sure what I'm looking for. I know, no dumb questions, but it sure feels like a dumb question!

sewjoyce 03-27-2010 05:21 PM

I haven't yet tried FMQ with metallic thread, but when I do machine embroidery, I use a Schmetz Metallica Needle (Size 80/12). You might have to loosen the tension a little and slow your speed down. A good thread to use is Marathon thread.

JanetM 03-27-2010 05:28 PM

Here is another tip. If you have a thread stand, place your thread on that. This will create a longer distance from the spool to your needle. This distance allows the thread to relax (it twists easily) before entering the needle. This also works for monofilament thread. Also, like Maride, and Nursie76 said...stitch slowly. Give it another try. :)

AtHomeSewing 03-27-2010 06:03 PM

Since you have the thread, a needle needs to be found that is right for the thread you are using. You didn't mention the brand or weight of thread that you are having problems with. Many manufacturers will recommend a size and type of needle for their product.

Generally for metallic thread, a larger size of eye on the needle is needed. The groove of the needle also helps to protect thread. I would try the "Metallic" label needles Schmetz makes which have large eyes and grooves.

Good luck, once you get it going it will add lovely sparkle to your project! :)