Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   method for sorting blocks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/method-sorting-blocks-t295616.html)

Casi 03-19-2018 08:32 AM

method for sorting blocks

Hi, I'm making a quilt out of 12 in. blocks cut out of 4 different fabrics chosen by my daughter. It is going to be queen size so I am doing 72 blocks in 8 x 9 rows. How can I arrange them without them ending up diagonally placed? Placing them in groups of 4 did not turn out good. Thanks

Tartan 03-19-2018 10:56 AM

When block placement is important, I put them up on my design wall and take a picture on my iPad. For some reason I can see which needs to be moved better in a picture. If you don't have a design wall, pinning them to large window curtains works too.

zozee 03-19-2018 11:01 AM

Can you post a picture of the blocks (some of them at least) hung up?

Geri B 03-19-2018 11:04 AM

So you will be only arranging the 4 different colored 12" blocks...no sub cutting or sashing? If so, maybe drawing out on graph paper, and using colored pencils to see if by maybe making 4 patches something will emerge...ifyou have EQ, that would be better......just a thought

Bobbinalong 03-19-2018 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 8024706)
When block placement is important, I put them up on my design wall and take a picture on my iPad. For some reason I can see which needs to be moved better in a picture.

I find looking at a picture helps too. Especially if you move the blocks around and then decide that you preferred the first arrangement!

Changing the saturation of your picture to black and white also helps to see the differences in values that aren't always obvious in colour.

Prism99 03-19-2018 11:34 AM

Because the quilt is an even number of blocks across (8 blocks) and you are using 4 fabrics, I think there is only one way to avoid diagonals and avoid having the same colors next to each other. It would involve repeating the same 4 fabrics, but shifting over by 2 on each new row. Let me see if I can explain.

Number your colors 1 through 4. In row 1, fabrics will be 1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4. In row 2, fabrics will be 3-4-1-2-3-4-1-2. Those two rows will be repeated throughout the quilt.

If you change the quilt to 9 x 9, there are other possibilities. For 8 x 9, I think this is your only choice if you don't want diagonals and don't want the same colors next to each other . I did a quick work-up of this in EQ and the result is pleasing. It is similar to a woven effect.

Edit: I realized there is one other way to arrange the blocks. This would be Row 1 fabrics 1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2 and Row 2 fabrics 3-4-3-4-3-4-3-4. I do not find that arrangement as attractive as the first because there is less alternation for the eye, but it may work for different colors than I selected for my trial.

Casi 03-19-2018 04:06 PM

Thank you everyone! While I was waiting for replys I started putting them together. I had no idea when I started this project how limited it would be...using only 4 fabrics and doing a 8 x 9! The only way that it would work, and it doesn't look that bad....is to make every other row the same....1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4 alternated with 3-4-1-2-3-4-1-2. The all in all....isn't really that noticeable.

Teen 03-19-2018 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 (Post 8024731)
Because the quilt is an even number of blocks across (8 blocks) and you are using 4 fabrics, I think there is only one way to avoid diagonals and avoid having the same colors next to each other. It would involve repeating the same 4 fabrics, but shifting over by 2 on each new row. Let me see if I can explain.

Number your colors 1 through 4. In row 1, fabrics will be 1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4. In row 2, fabrics will be 3-4-1-2-3-4-1-2. Those two rows will be repeated throughout the quilt.

If you change the quilt to 9 x 9, there are other possibilities. For 8 x 9, I think this is your only choice if you don't want diagonals and don't want the same colors next to each other . I did a quick work-up of this in EQ and the result is pleasing. It is similar to a woven effect.

Edit: I realized there is one other way to arrange the blocks. This would be Row 1 fabrics 1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2 and Row 2 fabrics 3-4-3-4-3-4-3-4. I do not find that arrangement as attractive as the first because there is less alternation for the eye, but it may work for different colors than I selected for my trial.

You always amaze me in your brilliance. Can you move in to my sewing room, please? How handy you are to bounce things off of!!

Prism99 03-20-2018 10:17 AM

Ah, Teen. If only you could convince my dh (and all other family members).......

quilting cat 03-20-2018 11:13 AM

I often set up such a quilt in diagonals, sew the columns, then shift them around like 1,4,7,2,5,8,3,6.