Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Michaels craft store (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/michaels-craft-store-t4911.html)

bbwalkup 03-03-2008 09:00 PM

Hey there! Has anyone heard about what's going on at Michaels? And if so do you know of a petion to stop this.
I'll explain...
I've been taking a cake decorating class at Michaels. (Sorry, all, I can't send samples, but I think I have gained like 5 pounds- anyhow). Tonight was our last night of class, and our instructor apologized for the room being a mess. Michaels Crafts Stores are no longer holding any classes or workshops (with the exception of Wilton cake decorating...due to contracts between the two companies). All of the supplies and equipment for the other classes is to be destroyed and thrown away. The piles of equipment was amazing. Paper cutters, pasta machines, crayons, die cuts thingie, polymer clay, paints, oh it went on. We are all upset that all that wonderful stuff is to be destroyed.
All of us in our small class are not understanding why this stuff couldn't be donated to the schools that were damaged in the hurricanes a couple years back. Or used to raise money for kids in under funded schools. It's sad, it seems as if they are letting a wonderful opportunity pass by. I know if I'd heard they donated this stuff or the money it raised I would look to them for more crafty stuff.
Apparently, this is suppose to be all Michaels, not just the one local to me. Can you imagine the amount of stuff being destroyed? Just sad. But if anyone's heard of this before or a petition to stop this from happening, please let me know, I'd like to sign it.
Thanks.

LOL, I have to laugh, I might be an adult, but I always wanted to have a birthday party there :( even if I was the only one, I'd love to have crafting birthday party. Oh well. I'll still settle for gift cards to the craft stores.

jbsstrawberry 03-04-2008 07:27 AM

Big business just makes no sense sometimes. I agree, donating the supplies would be a much better option, and about the same tax right off I would imagine. I think it comes down to the business version of the golden rule, "he who has the gold makes the rules". My thinking is the powers that be are afraid someone else would profit from the supplies, and they wouldn't get their share. Just my opinion. A petition may be a good idea, let us know how it progresses. We have no Michael's close by, but if you can get an internet version going, I'll be more than happy to add my name to it.

Tiffany 03-05-2008 03:19 PM

I have not heard about this happening at the Michael's here in Idaho Falls. I agree, it certainly is a waste.
~Tiffany

adyldrop 03-06-2008 01:49 PM

Okay. I just went to Michael's near me to pick up batting and pins. I asked about this situation and I got YELLED at by 2 people! The cashier was very unpleasant; told me they'd PUT USED STUFF BACK ON THE SHELF and insisted on calling over the manager. When I asked the manager she took one look at me and huffed 'Oh we don't give anyone our supplies like that'. I assured her I wasn't looking for any handouts but wanted to confirm what I'd heard--will they be destroying perfectly good supplies in lieu of donating them? She told me they toss everything after a class is over regardless of how much is left. They will keep the tool boxes and that is all. Then she walked away from me. Harruph!

Cathy M 03-06-2008 05:09 PM

Gee, makes you want to spend tons of your money at that store doesn't it? Our Michaels' store made me mad years ago as they wouldn't take my military photo ID card as a photo identification. The clerk insisted it wasn't a 'real' form of ID. She even said my Costco card would have been accepted. My husband was in the reserves at the time and it had everything she needed on it to honor my check. After 'threatening' to call the pentagon to confirm my ID, the manager allowed me to pay for my stuff and go. I honestly have no idea if the pentagon would have taken my call, but it worked. Since then I have made a point to either use the military ID.

k_jupiter 03-06-2008 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Cathy M
Gee, makes you want to spend tons of your money at that store doesn't it? Our Michaels' store made me mad years ago as they wouldn't take my military photo ID card as a photo identification. The clerk insisted it wasn't a 'real' form of ID. She even said my Costco card would have been accepted. My husband was in the reserves at the time and it had everything she needed on it to honor my check. After 'threatening' to call the pentagon to confirm my ID, the manager allowed me to pay for my stuff and go. I honestly have no idea if the pentagon would have taken my call, but it worked. Since then I have made a point to either use the military ID.

As far as I am concerned, a military ID card is the second most secure ID in the world, after your passport. She 'Allowed' you to pay for your stuff? I would have told her where to put her... never mind... that's rude.

*L*

Go gettum.

tim in san jose

Cathy M 03-06-2008 08:52 PM

I could always send my boys in to Michaels... my oldest is an Army Ranger graduating from special forces as a Green Beret in July and my youngest is a Navy Seal. :):):):):)

henryparrish76 03-06-2008 08:57 PM

I would be calling corporate office about that manager and cashier. and talking to them about the issue of donation of the items.

Cathy M 03-06-2008 09:00 PM

You would think that by donating these items they could use it as a tax writeoff or something. Plus they could use it in publicity for their store.

adyldrop 03-06-2008 09:34 PM

nope she was very defiant in that they don't have left over supplies and most certainly do not donate to anyone. I think the employees just want all the goodies for themselves!!