Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Microfiber sheets (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/microfiber-sheets-t214400.html)

pyffer3 02-20-2013 07:24 PM

Microfiber sheets

I found a brand new, lovely, deep purple set of king size microfiber sheets for only $5.00 in a bin at a discount store. I have been wanting purple to start a cathedral windows quilt (gonna use it for the background color) and I thought wow a king size sheet set is a lot of fabric when you think about it. I am not sure about this fabric once I got it home and washed. I have only used cotton fabrics and this is thinner with a little more give to it than I am used to (not experienced, only 2 completed quilts so far). Has anyone else use microfiber sheets/fabric for quilting?

RavenLunaStitch 02-20-2013 08:27 PM

I am a cheapskate and use sheets for lots of sewing projects -- the yardage really is amazing when you get a super sale price! Having said that, I don't "love" sewing with sheets because I've found that they tend to fray much more while working with them. But I still use them when I find good deals. Now I have not used microfiber sheets at all but I have some and know what they feel like. They would be a great lightweight fabric for a cathedral windows quilt which can get heavy with folds and layers, but my question would be will microfiber actually hold a crisp fold? That's what I would check first. Maybe try ironing them with and without steam and starch and see how they behave before you invest a lot of time into cutting. I think I would test them out on a couple of sample blocks first and see how they perform! I'd love to know what you discover! I'm all about thinking outside the box and using new materials!

wanda lou 02-20-2013 10:16 PM

I agree I hate the Micro fiber stuff.

Geri B 02-21-2013 05:27 AM

Isn't this a synthetic type of fabric? I, personally only use 100percent(where is symbol on iPad?).......it may end up your bargain is really not!!! On a recent utube from MSQ Jen did make the comment about now with the Egyptian tighter woven thread count carefully chosen sheets would be appropriate for backs as opposed to cheaper thinly woven ones..

ghostrider 02-21-2013 05:40 AM

Microfibers are typically made from polyester and nylon polymers...100% synthetic.

Stitchnripper 02-21-2013 06:08 AM

I made a microfiber king size quilt with fabric from yardage - I used 12" squares, and alternated the direction so the grain showed variation. It was tricky to work with (and this was only my second quilt) but it came out great. I used the same fabric for the back and used fleece as the batting and then stitched in the ditch. On my dinky mechanical machine. I set it on point, and started in the middle, so only wrestled the true bulk 4 times. It is very warm, washes nicely, and is different than a traditional cotton quilt.

pyffer3 02-21-2013 06:22 AM

thanks for the feedback. I think I will try a few blocks before I go all out with cutting and pressing. I think I am going to use 10 inch blocks and go from there.

rebeljane 02-22-2013 09:50 AM

I bought microfibre sheet sets and used them twice and gave them away. They are terrible to use, They slide of the bed

sewingsuz 02-22-2013 09:51 AM

I don't care for the microfiber fabric .

SouthPStitches 02-22-2013 09:55 AM

I'm pretty picky when it comes to fabric but picked up a set of microfiber sheets at Penney's. Wouldn't want to sew on them but find I love them on the bed in the summer. They are soft and cool to the touch and dry almost immediately. Actually find I experience less hot flashes when they are on the bed.