Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Mid-long arm machines and frames (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/mid-long-arm-machines-frames-t10653.html)

desertdebbe 08-28-2008 04:26 PM

How many of you use a frame and either mid or long arm machine?
Would you share the pro's and con's of your setup? Thanks

I have a Bailey 13 on a Hinterberg stretch frame.
Currently I love everything about both. I've quilted about 10
quilts in just a couple months. I was using a Juki on the frame
but the Bailey is much better for me.

Lucky Patsy's 08-29-2008 10:03 PM

I have done very little machine quilting, and then just on my sewing machine. I am curious though, what do like about the Bailey over the Juki?

desertdebbe 08-30-2008 06:56 AM

The Juki has a habit of giving you either long or skipped stitches when quilting away from you. I know I certainly had the problem and I've heard a lot of people say the same thing. Especially on the Juki board. We went thru the changing the needle, the thread, the tension of the both of them, the tension of the quilt, the speed of your quilting, etc. I could never get it to go away. Other than that it is a workhorse, I use mine to piece now. Don't get me wrong, the Juki is a fine machine.
With all the different machines and frames out there now, personally I think the least expensive is the Bailey Quilting Machine. Both the 13" & 15" go for under $2,000 and the frame are generally under a $1,000.
I got my Bailey on Craigslist for a fabulous price. It is not a speed demon like the Juki but a great machine and well worth the price which is very reasonable. I understand Mr. Bailey even does layaway. :D
You have to call though, they aren't good with email.

Debbe

butterflywing 08-30-2008 12:36 PM

i had a brother 1500s (really a shortarm- 9" throat) on a new joy frame. the machine was incredible. the frame could have been heftier. it was a great quilter, BUT when the whole quilt was finished to the point where the roll was 3/4 behind the needle and under the arm, there was only about 6" maybe less of actual working field left. i was able to make two queen quilts but with a lot of difficulty. i ended up having to go in one direction, then take it off and go in the cross direction. when my kids saw me working that hard they bought me the tin lizzie (18") on the wood frame made by grace. the frame is great and solid as a rock. the machine is good, but also makes those long and skipped stitches. i can't figure out why. could it be the thread? they bought it at a show. over all, i would have to say i liked the brother better. it was smoother and quieter. but the lizzie has the stitch regulater and a good table for pantograms and lots of additional good features and notions and they give good tech support forever on the phone. if i had the room i would have kept the brother for wallhangings and small quilts. i sold it after one year for 1/2 what it cost me at a show. i believe the tin lizzie/grace table combo is in the neighborhood of $7000. i never asked.

desertdebbe 08-30-2008 01:58 PM

They say that skipped stitches can come from a number of things.
Suggestions are: changing the needle, adjusting tension on either top or bottom, changing thread, slowing down your movement when you quilt, or the timing of the machine could be off.
Does it happen the same way all the time? I mean like with the Juki it was always when I was pushing the machine back and to the left or occasionally the right. Since I've heard so many people mention it with the Juki I have to figure it's not just me.
The Hinterberg stretch frame is very sturdy as well. I am very happy with it. I have 10' poles on it but as soon as I have a larger space I'll add on to the poles and make them 12'. I have to find some good instructions to be able to do that.

Debbe

butterflywing 08-31-2008 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by desertdebbe
They say that skipped stitches can come from a number of things.
Suggestions are: changing the needle, adjusting tension on either top or bottom, changing thread, slowing down your movement when you quilt, or the timing of the machine could be off.
Does it happen the same way all the time? I mean like with the Juki it was always when I was pushing the machine back and to the left or occasionally the right. Since I've heard so many people mention it with the Juki I have to figure it's not just me.
The Hinterberg stretch frame is very sturdy as well. I am very happy with it. I have 10' poles on it but as soon as I have a larger space I'll add on to the poles and make them 12'. I have to find some good instructions to be able to do that.

Debbe

with me it happens when i try to go from side to side. the weird thing is that it goes along just fine and then it acts up. then after driving me crazy it behaves itself again. i was using junky old thread at the time, so i thought it might be that. sometimes when cheap thread comes through the bobbin case it doesn't run smooth because it isn't so smooth itself. the manufacturer told me use king tut thread, but i had to be a wise-ass. i'll try again with good stuff and let you know, if you're still interested. king tut is very expensive, but i just bought some valdani (?) on sale from bayside quilters. they were closing it out. i love my frame too. i even like to look at all that wood. i have the 10' poles and i probably won't change them. i don't have a king sized bed and the frame as it stands gives me 110 good quilting inches. they say it's 120" but then there's no room for the extra batting and backing. i like 95 - 100" for mine. if i ever do any bigger i would do 2 halves and join them, even though i have plenty of space in my basement where i work.

butterflywing 09-01-2008 05:24 PM

i checked with my son and he told me the frame is a hintenberg made to the specifications for Lloyd Manufacturing, the maker of the Tin Lizzie. then they sell it as an outfit. and you're right. it is as solid as can be. they could do the olympic excersizes on that thing and it wouldn't collapse.

Skeat 09-01-2008 05:54 PM

This is great information for us all!! I do hope more post on the subject..it is very educational for all of us!! Skeat

desertdebbe 09-01-2008 06:39 PM

When I first got my frame I didn't understand any of it. The terminology is different, I didn't have a clue what anyone was even talking about. :oops: Now, I have some sort of a clue so it's much better. If you have any questions ask away.

Janeen 09-04-2008 10:27 AM

Ok, I couldn't say anything until I had actually tried the new Bailey 15/Gracie II outfit we got. We couldn't get out to the shop to play around because of Gustav!

Now that's out of the way, today we put some flannel on the frame and are testing the waters so to speak. So far I'm very happy... and anxious to get the 'beginner' stuff out of the way so I can do a quilt :mrgreen:

I posted about it on the picture board.....