Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   This might be a dumb question, but...... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/might-dumb-question-but-t196885.html)

krysti 08-06-2012 07:28 PM

Thank you for the responses everyone, and makes me feel like it wasn't such a dumb question after all lol.

CoyoteQuilts 08-06-2012 08:42 PM

Yep, I put a layer on the board then a layer of batting. Works great!

Silver Needle 08-06-2012 08:53 PM

I second Bellaboo's suggestion. I followed Sharon's instructions but used a $10. Oak TV tray from Wal-mart. It sits at an angle to wherever I am working so I can just turn and press. Then I fold it up and it goes with me to sewing group or guild meetings.

k9dancer 08-06-2012 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Needle (Post 5423094)
I second Bellaboo's suggestion. I followed Sharon's instructions but used a $10. Oak TV tray from Wal-mart. It sits at an angle to wherever I am working so I can just turn and press. Then I fold it up and it goes with me to sewing group or guild meetings.

That is such a good idea! Thank you!

JustAbitCrazy 08-06-2012 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Needle (Post 5423094)

Very smart idea! Thanks! I've been needing something like this!

fleurdelisquilts.com 08-07-2012 12:38 AM

I've been wanting to make a large ironing board for pressing quilt tops. You all have inspired me, too. First up, find a board big enough! Guess I could enlist hubby's help....

burchquilts 08-07-2012 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by fleurdelisquilts.com (Post 5423256)
I've been wanting to make a large ironing board for pressing quilt tops. You all have inspired me, too. First up, find a board big enough! Guess I could enlist hubby's help....

There are a couple of threads with instructions for these here on the board.

I like to wrap insulbrite around an old fabric bolt & cover it all with a layer of cheap, heavy muslin for a portable board. I learned that in a quilting class once & it really works! Light & easy to tote!

Rumbols 08-07-2012 05:08 AM

I agree with BellaBoo. A harder surface works great when pressing blocks. I loved Sharon Schamber's pressing board so much when I made one, I now have three large ones and one small 14" square one to use as a portable pressing surface when just pressing parts of a block. They all work great.

Toni C 08-07-2012 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo (Post 5422937)
A hard non sinkable surface is better for pressing blocks. Too soft surface and your blocks will sink in when pressing and can make the block distorted. I used one layer of thin cotton batting and one layer of cotton canvas. I wet the canvas after stapling it to the board and let it dry. It shrank to a very tight firm fit. This is Sharon Schamber's recommended way to make a pressing board.

This is what I did

Steady Stiching 08-08-2012 03:39 AM

It would not hurt to use insulbrite..but it would be fairly expensive. I use cheap batting covered by "why did I buy that " fabric, which I then cover with the silvery ironing board fabric that Joanns sells on bolts. It has gotten pricy too and I'm due to recover mine. Thinking about doing it in muslin this time. What do you all cover yours with?