Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Minecraft quilt - help please for a somewhat challenged quilter! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/minecraft-quilt-help-please-somewhat-challenged-quilter-t242486.html)

Knitette 03-04-2014 03:42 AM

Minecraft quilt - help please for a somewhat challenged quilter!

Does anyone know where I can get a pattern for a Minecraft quilt? I've seen lots of images on Google and Pinterest, but no actual patterns.

Now, before you y'all say how easy it would be (I know it's all blocks), you'll have to bear in mind that I have Dyscalculia, so what's easy for you is an absolute nightmare for me and is the reason why, I think, I much prefer appliqué. Doing one smallish pieced block from a BOM pattern say, can take me the best part of a day by the time I get the calculations right.

I've seen whole quilts done with the Creeper character, but thought I'd make 9 or 12 smaller character blocks and use some appliqué where I can. I need something that spells out what size to cut each of the squares/strips.

I'd be grateful for any help and suggestions.

Definition of Dyscalculia
The DfE defines dyscalculia as: ‘A condition that affects the ability to acquire arithmetical skills. Dyscalculic learners may have difficulty understanding simple number concepts, lack an intuitive grasp of numbers, and have problems learning number facts and procedures. Even if they produce a correct answer or use a correct method, they may do so mechanically and without confidence.’
Dyscalculia is like dyslexia for numbers. But unlike dyslexia, very little is known about its prevalence, causes or treatment. Current thinking suggests that it is a congenital condition, caused by the abnormal functioning of a specific area of the brain. People with dyscalculia experience great difficulty with the most basic aspects of numbers and arithmetic.

SlightlyOffQuilter 03-04-2014 04:26 AM

My son has the same issue, so I get exactly what you are talking about. Having a program like EQ7 would be a huge help for situations like this, since it does most of the math for you and calculates yardage and cutting . I have the program, if you are interested I could work some blocks up for you. Just hit up my Private message =]

Quiltaddict 03-04-2014 07:46 PM

My friend's grandson would love a Minecraft quilt so I will be watching this thread too. I did see a Creeper quilt and he likes that character, I made him a Creeper costume last Halloween. I was thinking of making him a Creeper quilt but like your idea of different blocks better.

ann31039 03-04-2014 08:02 PM

what a great idea. i love minecraft and so does my boy. Maybe if you kept your block sizes in multiples of 2 or 5? please post pics of your quilt in progress, i bet its going to be great.

SlightlyOffQuilter 03-04-2014 08:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hopefully I attached this right. This is the file I worked up , hopefully it helps out whoever would like it.

kel_jh 03-04-2014 09:33 PM

This is great! I may try making one for my granddaughter...one of these days when my quilting skills are a little better! =) Thanks for sharing!

QuiltnLady1 03-04-2014 11:05 PM

Thanks much!!! Grandsons will love this!!

Knitette 03-05-2014 12:55 AM

I just wanted to say a HUGE thank you to SlightyOffQuilter for doing this for me. In fact, 'Thank You' seems pretty inadequate! The pattern is perfect and I know he'll be over the moon.

This is the link to the British Dyslexia Association Dyscalculia page which has some resources for your son you may find useful.

Thank you once again for your kindness and generosity!

QuiltingZ 02-27-2015 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by SlightlyOffQuilter (Post 6609728)
Hopefully I attached this right. This is the file I worked up , hopefully it helps out whoever would like it.

I cannot access the images. Is there any chance you can send them to me?

ManiacQuilter2 02-27-2015 11:50 AM

Looks like there is a free pattern that can be downloaded:

http://www.quilthowto.com/Minecraft-quilt.html