Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Mini Irons (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/mini-irons-t43768.html)

littlehud 04-25-2010 06:18 AM

I have one and I like mine. It's great for getting into small areas.

pflum1 04-25-2010 06:22 AM

I have the Clover's mini iron and like it for putting bias tape down. I also have the Hobbico little craft iron and use it when I'm quilting as it has a little wider base. I have used the travel iron on seam when I sew. I feel each iron has it's own place. If you have something really small, the clover mini iron is it. Something else I use all the time is a "Cool finger", sure saves a person finger. It's like a knit glove for one finger, but it doesn't transfer hear.

Purl 04-25-2010 06:23 AM

I love my iron! Have had it for years and am using it for an applique project right now. I use freezer paper and turn under the seam allowance. Works like a charm! I will be trying a coffee cup as holder this afternoon. Funny how there is always something new to learn!
Purl

vickig626 04-25-2010 06:30 AM

I have had one for several years (received as a gift) and use it all the time for paper-piecing. Seems that the small head works best for this. Never had any problems with it.

But I have another (very old) small iron I use for small projects.

If I decided to buy another one, I'd buy the one that has the interchangable heads so it can have more uses.

Would I buy another one? Yes. I am happy with this product.

lclang 04-25-2010 07:32 AM

I have a little pink travel iron. When the heating element burned out I tried to find a new one to no avail. My husband, tired of my whining, took it apart and found a part that worked and fixed it. That has been about ten years ago and it is still going strong. I have a little dolly ironing board that I like to use to sit in my easy chair and iron quilt blocks/pieces/borders,binding, etc. I also discovered when we moved that I have a kids dolly iron. I have not tried it but it looks like it would be fine for fusible applique as it has no holes in the soleplate.

vickig626 04-25-2010 08:05 AM

I'm curious about your dolly iron board. Is it a "toy"? I'm making doll clothes and need a small ironing board to work on.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by lclang
I have a little pink travel iron. When the heating element burned out I tried to find a new one to no avail. My husband, tired of my whining, took it apart and found a part that worked and fixed it. That has been about ten years ago and it is still going strong. I have a little dolly ironing board that I like to use to sit in my easy chair and iron quilt blocks/pieces/borders,binding, etc. I also discovered when we moved that I have a kids dolly iron. I have not tried it but it looks like it would be fine for fusible applique as it has no holes in the soleplate.

GrammaNan 04-25-2010 08:25 AM

I have the model you are talking about and I like it. I waited for a coupon of course. I don't have any other model to compare it with but it works great for applique and small corners etc.

babyquilter 04-25-2010 08:45 AM

I bought one several years ago and don't like it at all. I never thought it got hot enough. Money better spent on more fabric!

Sarah CA 04-25-2010 08:57 AM

I love, love my Clover Iron. Just a word of caution though. I had it on the stand that it comes with, and somehow I must have knocked it off the stand, because the next time I looked, it has fallen and melted the stand and got plastic all over the iron and my ironing mat. Thank goodness, I got the plastic off the iron, but now I will buy a better quality stand. The iron is wonderful for seams as you quilt....I have mine right beside my sewing machine. It gets really hot too.

Originally Posted by crashnquilt
I have the Clover Iron and you would have to pry it from my cold dead hands before I will give it up. I LOVE LOVE LOVE it for pressing seams. I use a small travel iron for pressing my finished blocks. I keep my Clover Iron in a coffee cup while I'm using it. That prevents me from trying to pick it up by the rod. (been there done that ain't fun)

Jo Mama 04-25-2010 09:31 AM

I had a "wand" type mini iron with an iron rest but it flopped around, just would not rest in its holder. I put it on the free table at guild. I like my $6.99 regular iron I bought at Walgren's and the June Taylor iron/cutting board I got for my birthday one year.