Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Minimum cut when buying online (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/minimum-cut-when-buying-online-t62661.html)

Favorite Fabrics 09-02-2010 04:45 AM

Just wondering what those of you who shop online have discovered.

What's the typical "minimum cut"? Do you have to buy full yards? Or 1/2? Or 1/4?

MamaBear61 09-02-2010 05:05 AM

I usually buy at least 1 yard.

raptureready 09-02-2010 05:11 AM

It depends on the seller. Some say 1yd others 1/2yd some 1/4. I usually buy 1 yd. But then again, I seldom buy less than one yard except on Fat Tuesday then I spend bunches on fat quarters. Fat Tuesday is when Threads of Time has all their fat quarters marked down to $1.50 each. Last year I bought around $79 or $80. You have to be there early to get the best picks.

Favorite Fabrics 09-02-2010 05:12 AM

Fat Tuesday... as in Mardi Gras Fat Tuesday?

Baysidegal 09-02-2010 05:15 AM

I usually buy 1 yard of fabric unless I know for certain that a 1/2 yard will do. I hate when stores list 1/2 yard price points. It make you think you are getting a bargain until u view the shopping cart lol....

quiltbugs 09-02-2010 05:16 AM

Mostly I buy in full yard increments, but I like the option to buy in 1/2 and even 1/4 yard increments. I buy a lot of fabric online, and I hate when I know I only need 1/2 yard of something for a binding, but don't have that option, especially with the price of fabric these days.

Lori S 09-02-2010 05:16 AM

I do tend to buy at least one yard. I find it frustrating that on the occasion that really do not need a yard I can not buy a 1/2 yard. If 1/2 yards are offered I would still buy the one yard or more because most of my purchases online or at LQS are 1 or more . It would be nice to be able to have the 1/2 yard choice available. Sometimes its just not that convienient or if I have to go to(LQS) get the 1/2 yard I might as well get the rest of the project fabric while I am there.
I agree with previous post about posting pricing in 1/2 yard. I REALLY do not like it when the price posted is for 1/2 yard.

patricej 09-02-2010 05:42 AM

most of the online shops i've seen require the customer or order a minimum of one yard. some require that you order in whole yard increments. most will require that especially on their sale fabrics. since i usually buy at least a yard that doesn't matter to me.

even so, i'm always pleased and impressed by those shops that will let us order in fractions of a yard.

sjhughson 09-02-2010 05:47 AM

I don't shop the on line stores that require a lower limit. I do not like the 1/2 yd. sites either. I forget to look until I realize this is no bargain. LOL

mollymct 09-02-2010 06:06 AM

I have no problem with a minimum order of a yard, but I really appreciate those shops that offer fractions of a yard! I love to be able to choose 1.25 yards and minimize waste. I'm more interesting in getting what I need for a project--I don't have room for a stash!