Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Minky help please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/minky-help-please-t276143.html)

catsden 02-26-2016 01:45 PM

Minky help please

This is my first time to work with minky. Making baby quilt. Not using batting. Have spray basted and pinned. Am going to use walking foot to stitch in the ditch then will do the motifs. Am I going about this the correct way. Don't want to mess this up as I have a shower to go to in the near future. Picture of quilt follows.
Well, guess picture is not going to happen. Updated my mac and now that the picture catagory has changed I can't get a pic to upload. Sorry

ManiacQuilter2 02-26-2016 02:12 PM

You have to be so careful because Minky can be stretchy.

quiltingshorttimer 02-26-2016 02:34 PM

Have not used in on DSM, but on the long arm you have to be careful because of the stretchiness, to not stretch it--so it's loaded with the stretch going side to side. I would think you could do it fine, but may want to really think about which way you are sewing when doing the SID. Are you planning to do motifs with FMQ? that would probably work ok cause your feed dogs would be down.

catsden 02-26-2016 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer (Post 7477776)
Have not used in on DSM, but on the long arm you have to be careful because of the stretchiness, to not stretch it--so it's loaded with the stretch going side to side. I would think you could do it fine, but may want to really think about which way you are sewing when doing the SID. Are you planning to do motifs with FMQ? that would probably work ok cause your feed dogs would be down.

Yes, I am going to do FMQ motifs and my feed dogs will be down. I also am using my modified (Leah Day) darning foot. Have practiced with this modified non hopping foot and my regular one. Seems that the minky is easier to handle using non hopping foot for FMQ.

Kitty10628 02-26-2016 03:49 PM

I would suggest batting. Spray basting is a great idea. Since you mentioned Leah Day.... she does not lower her feed dogs.... I don't either. It doesn't seem to make a difference to me.

suern3 02-26-2016 04:01 PM

If you have spray basted and pinned, you shouldn't have any problem with quilting in the way you have planned. I have used minky as backing for several quilts and have not had any problems. I pin baste only, do use batting, and do free motion quilting on my domestic sewing machine. Do usually using do some SID to stabilize before FMQ, minky or not. Hope you will be able to post pictures of your quilt some time.

ckcowl 02-26-2016 04:22 PM

Batting does make a difference but if you are already spray and pin basted guess it's too late for that. Shouldn't have problems, use a nice, new sharp needle, and don't stretch the minkie as you go.

grammysharon 02-26-2016 06:01 PM

I use Minky often as backing on baby quilts. Spray baste well and it should be fine. I FMQ with Minkee often and it turns out beautifully!