Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Minky type fabric sewing tips (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/minky-type-fabric-sewing-tips-t71093.html)

Jackie R 10-19-2010 12:25 PM

I need sewing tips, etc. for cutting and sewing a baby blanket using just the minky type fabric for the front (lt blue) and back (white). I wasn't planning on any batting as I wanted it to be rather floppy and drapy. Would this be OK?

If I just sew around the edges with right sides together and then turn it rightside out, top stitch around the edges about 1/2 inch or so, would it turn out OK do you think? Or do you have any other suggestions? And do you think a little quilting to hold top and bottom in place would be necessary or would it be ok without doing any quilting stitches?

Lots of questions but know there are lots of good answers out there too. Thanks a bunch.

Sadiemae 10-19-2010 12:28 PM

It should work. I quilt mine, and then rotary cut the edges with a fancy blade. The main thing is to not stretch it.

wolfkitty 10-19-2010 12:33 PM

I like minke, but I, too, would like some tips on how to work with it! It's beautiful fabric!

M.E.H. 10-19-2010 12:49 PM

My tip. When you cut the fabric have a lint roller near by. Sometimes it makes a small mess.

justwannaquilt 10-19-2010 01:17 PM

A WALKING FOOT! That is my only tip. It stretches a BUNCH.

So I would say once you lay the right sides together pin pin pin and then add a few more pins, then use the walking foot to sew it around the edges.

Yes it causes a bunch of lint but I wouldn't worry about it until you are all the way done, then just drag the vacuum out to clean up, don't try do sweep it cause it just flies every where!

Good luck.

Prissnboot 10-19-2010 01:21 PM

This fabric makes a huge mess, but that's what vacuum cleaners are for! Also, if you are going to not use batting but do as you suggested, make sure to tie the quilt together so it holds its shape. Either that, or you could just put some whip stitches in it instead so they don't show, and more important, there's nothing for the baby to pull on later. I did this once for my 4 yr old niece - patchwork on the top, and fleece as the back, and I whip-stitched every place the sashing crossed. 81 crosses as it was a full size quilt. But wait, there's more...I then stitched a 1/4" pink ribbon on it and tied a bow, then stitched the bow in place and fray-checked both ends so it stayed in place, and didn't come apart. Eighty - one of these suckers. It was adorable, don't get me wrong, but still...a major pain in the rear!

SittingPretty 10-19-2010 02:05 PM

Would someone please explain what minke fabric is? I've heard of it, but never just what it is. Is it a sort of chenille?

Sadiemae 10-19-2010 02:07 PM

It is like fleece, but it is much, much softer and stays soft. I find that fleece looses its softness over time.

AlienQuilter 10-19-2010 02:20 PM

I love working with minkee! It stretches a lot in one direction and not much in the other. What I do is use the 505 basting spray and it stays put. If you are worried about the spray being in a baby quilt, then wash it afterwards.

If you are using just two big pieces and sewing them right sides together, then turning, I would then use a pretty decorative stitch - like a small heart of flower, and tack it down in several places just so it holds it shape.

wolfkitty 10-19-2010 07:12 PM

Thanks for all the advice!