Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Mistake in my own pattern - keep it? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/mistake-my-own-pattern-keep-t213468.html)

Scakes 02-11-2013 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic (Post 5851717)
Chances are a 10 year old boy isn't going to notice but if it bothers you I would take it apart and fix it if it were mine. It would bother me, no matter if the giftee notices or not.

My feelings too.

rebeljane 02-11-2013 05:15 AM

I would fix it!

Homespun 02-11-2013 05:30 AM

If you haven't quilted it yet, fix it. You will feel better.

Weenween 02-11-2013 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Jakers1 (Post 5851696)
I made a quilt top for a boy who is a friend of my granddaughter's, age 10. I made it with 4 patch squares as well as large squares of the focus fabric. I had a pattern I made up, with large squares at the corners and four of them making a square in the middle. I finished the entire top. Before adding the backing (not going to quilt it, just tie it to flannel) I discovered I had put two of the large squares in the wrong rows! I could change them out (I have added sashing) or leave it. It is noticeable, especially for me. I feel I did not even follow my own pattern and should change it, but would the young man notice? What would you do?

Fix it or it will haunt you for ever,knowing you could have and didn't

Jakers1 02-11-2013 06:02 AM

Thanks everyone for your input. I have the chance to change it and I am going to or it will bother me forever. And a lesson learned - follow the pattern, even if it is one you created.

maryb119 02-11-2013 06:26 AM

I would change it. If something bugs me now, it will bug me later so I would fix it. It won't take that long and you will be much happier with it.

bigsister63 02-11-2013 06:44 AM

He's a MAN!!!!!!!!!!! no he will not notice.

Sue_R 02-11-2013 07:04 AM

When I make a mistake that sounds that large (a picture would have helped us), I would grit my teeth and fix it. Otherwise, it feels like failure to me - an undone thing. To say that the recipient is too young to notice or that he won't notice because he's a male feels disrespectful to me. Not only that, remember that the young have older people in their lives, like parents and grandparents, and males have women in their lives, like sisters, wives, moms, and grandmoms. If the error really is large, I think you might feel better if you fixed the quilt. From one who has been there ... several times. Good luck!! Would love to see your finished quilt! What a caring thing for you to do!

bunniequilter 02-11-2013 07:08 AM

I would fix it as well. A mistake would bother me to no end. Dont know ho wmany times Ive had to rip out and resew because of a mistake.

mariolkapolka 02-11-2013 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 5851832)
​If I notice a mistake in a top, I fix it. If I notice a mistake in a finished quilt, I call that a design modification and leave it.

:D
Done that plenty of times.

You also have an option to hand emboroider or hand aplique boy's name on one of those blocks - this would make it super special.