Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Mixing of fabrics question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/mixing-fabrics-question-t291174.html)

KellyPete 09-14-2017 07:29 AM

Mixing of fabrics question

My daughter has asked me to make her boyfriend a quilt for Christmas. Not a big deal and I am happy to do it as her dad and I really like this young man. I found an easy pattern and got the needed fabric. The fabric I purchased is River Journey by Holly Taylor for Moda fabrics. While browsing I also came across Woolies Flannel Colors by Bonnie Sullivan for Maywood Studio. I thought it would be neat to mix cottons with flannels and took a chance that the colors in each would look good together as I was ordering online. The fabrics came and they match beautifully!!!! Now I am questioning if I should mix fabrics on the quilt top or just pick one of them and go with it. The pattern I will be using is Wild Windows Quilt off of Modabakeshop.com.

Any input is welcomed!!!!!

Thank you so much in advance.

Kelly

SusieQOH 09-14-2017 07:32 AM

First of all, your dog is precious!! :)
That's a pretty pattern. I don't see why you couldn't but I have never done it. Maybe someone else will know.

rryder 09-14-2017 07:36 AM

I would pre-wash as the flannels might shrink a bit more than the regular cotton. But other than that, I can't see any reason why you couldn't use them together.

Rob

bearisgray 09-14-2017 07:55 AM

I would soak all the fabrics in hot water (separate the colors) for a couple of hours and see if there is any bleeding.

If the water is clear, then I would gently wash the fabrics and dry them to minimize shrinkage and bleeding issues.

Faintly Artistic 09-14-2017 08:01 AM

I've mixed them before with no problem. Like stated earlier, flannels do tend to shrink more. Wash, then starch before cutting and sewing.

dunster 09-14-2017 09:22 AM

I've mixed them too and was happy with the result. I wash all my fabrics in hot water to maximize the shrinkage before using them. Flannels sometimes bleed more than quilting cottons, so watch out for that too. Some flannels may need a second wash to be sure they're done shrinking and bleeding. Show us the quilt when you're done!

caspharm 09-14-2017 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by rryder (Post 7906017)
I would pre-wash as the flannels might shrink a bit more than the regular cotton. But other than that, I can't see any reason why you couldn't use them together.

Rob

I agree. Pre-wash the flannels before using. Otherwise, there should be no problem. It will look great.

QuiltE 09-14-2017 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 7906069)
I've mixed them too and was happy with the result. I wash all my fabrics in hot water to maximize the shrinkage before using them. Flannels sometimes bleed more than quilting cottons, so watch out for that too. Some flannels may need a second wash to be sure they're done shrinking and bleeding. Show us the quilt when you're done!

ditto ... I would hot wash and hot dry both fabrics.
The flannelettes, I would hot wash and hot dry at least two times, and maybe a third.
Most times they shrink more-so than regular cotton fabrics, and thus hot wash/dry to try to deal with that.

Be sure to toss in some Colour Catchers to catch any dyes released from both.
If they are stained ... treat with retayne!

No reason to me as to why you can't combine the two types of fabric, if that is what you want to do.

As for whom is making this quilt ..... while I am sure that DBF will appreciate and love this quilt, wouldn't he love it even more if made by your DD? :) A good mother-daughter project!

bearisgray 09-14-2017 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 7906093)
. . .

As for whom is making this quilt ..... while I am sure that DBF will appreciate and love this quilt, wouldn't 1!he love it even more if made by your DD? :) A good mother-daughter project!

I think daughter would also appreciate this quilt more if she had to contribute money and effort into it, too!

osewme 09-14-2017 10:33 AM

I've mixed flannel with cottons with no problems at all. Like others have said....wash the flannel before using it as it does shrink up more than the quilting cottons.