Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Mixing flannel with cotton? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/mixing-flannel-cotton-t144730.html)

Divokittysmom 08-12-2011 05:09 PM

I have quite a bit of flannel left from my baby quilt just completed. I would like to make a wall hanging with embroidered appliques using the left over fabric from the quilt. I was thinking of using a cotton for my appliques and the flannel for the sashing. I plan to starch the daylights out of the flannel :lol: LOL... so it will be easier to work with. I thought the cotton would have more 'body' than flannel for the embroidered appliques.
Any comments regarding whether this would be a good idea or not, combining the cotton with the flannel??
Thank you all for your advice, it's much appreciated :-D

Greenheron 08-12-2011 05:14 PM

If it looks good, do it!

PaperPrincess 08-12-2011 05:16 PM

What's the fabric content of your flannel? Cotton, so why not mix them, especially on a wallhanging.

Divokittysmom 08-12-2011 05:42 PM

Flannel is 100% cotton also. Thanks for the advice, think I will go for it. :thumbup:

dublb 08-12-2011 06:08 PM

4 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Divokittysmom
I have quite a bit of flannel left from my baby quilt just completed. I would like to make a wall hanging with embroidered appliques using the left over fabric from the quilt. I was thinking of using a cotton for my appliques and the flannel for the sashing. I plan to starch the daylights out of the flannel :lol: LOL... so it will be easier to work with. I thought the cotton would have more 'body' than flannel for the embroidered appliques.
Any comments regarding whether this would be a good idea or not, combining the cotton with the flannel??
Thank you all for your advice, it's much appreciated :-D

I mixed cotton & flannel in this quilt I did 5 yrs ago! The red is flannel. I hand quilted around all the animal squares on this panel.

dublb 08-12-2011 06:16 PM

Oops double post!!!! :thumbdown:

dublb 08-12-2011 06:19 PM

I prewashed everything first, then starched the fire out of it all!!! My DGS loves this quilt very much. Actually he loves all the quilts & blankets that his Gramma has made him!!!!
I think you will make a lovely quilt. Be sure to show us how it comes out!!!

Tropical 08-12-2011 06:21 PM

Thanks for asking your question because I have been wanting to try that, too. I thought it would work, but wasn't sure. I love the feel of flannel. I use it for making cloth dolls because it is so soft for the babies to touch. :)

Divokittysmom 08-12-2011 07:10 PM

I LOVE your quilt, it is soooo cheerful!! Your handstitching is beautiful!! Thank you for sharing it!! I am going to forge ahead and go for it. I have the background squares of cotton cut out, starched and ready to go, the flannel will be the sashing pieces.

ckcowl 08-13-2011 03:59 AM

i mix flat cottons and flannels all the time- been doing it for years- flannel gives wonderful texture to a quilt- whether it be used as appliques, sashings, borders, blocks---it is soft, fluffy and great to use-
sometimes if your cottons are thin you might want to add a layer of muslin to them to make them as heavy as your flannel- but it is not always needed- and sometimes it is the flannel that is thin and needs a bit of foundation- but they work very well together