Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Mixing Flannel with plaid????????? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/mixing-flannel-plaid-t13010.html)

Bevanger 11-08-2008 08:50 AM

Can I do this? Will there be a problem? I have a 4 plaid fabs my Aunt gave me. There aren't flannel tho. Kinda a heavy cotten.

AND

Is a quilt considered a quilt if you just put fleece or flannel on back with NO batting?????

mary quite contrary 11-08-2008 10:14 AM

You can do whatever you want. To make it wear best you need to have similar fabrics.

Is it a quilt? Does it really matter what someone calls it if you are happy with it.

Marcia 11-08-2008 10:19 AM

I have mixed woven plaids and flannels a lot. BUT--they are usually a looser weave than quilting cotton and I always prewash them both if I am using them in the same project--that way there are no surprises later.

Is a quilt a quilt if it does not have batting in the middle? Summer quilts have never had batting in them and have been made for decades.......so I would say "yes".

Bevanger 11-08-2008 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by mary quite contrary
You can do whatever you want. To make it wear best you need to have similar fabrics.

Is it a quilt? Does it really matter what someone calls it if you are happy with it.

Thanks hun... I guess I look at as making "blankets"

Bevanger 11-08-2008 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Marcia
I have mixed woven plaids and flannels a lot. BUT--they are usually a looser weave than quilting cotton and I always prewash them both if I am using them in the same project--that way there are no surprises later.

Is a quilt a quilt if it does not have batting in the middle? Summer quilts have never had batting in them and have been made for decades.......so I would say "yes".

Awesome....... Thanks hun. I guess I'm on the right track.....

bearisgray 11-08-2008 10:56 AM

If they look good together and have the same "feel" - go for it.

I'm not too keen on mixing tulle and burlap together for a "working" blanket/quilt, tho. :| (I'm exaggerating, folks)

Bevanger 11-08-2008 10:59 AM

that's kinda what i had in mind, but i never worked with flannel before so thought i'd ask.

bearisgray 11-08-2008 11:08 AM

Please do what Marcia said - preshrink all the fabrics before cutting. Some of these fabrics are notorius for shrinking. And not always in the same direction.

I've had fabrics shrink up to 2 1/2 inches crosswise. Sure glad I shrunk the fabric before I made the pillowcases.

2 Doods 11-08-2008 12:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Preshrik first! They all shrink differently. This is the second quilt I made and I didn't think to ask if it would work. But I know flannel shrinks so I made sure to wash and dry them twice.

It is made of homespuns, flannels, cotton and has a flannel border and back.

It is our favorite TV quilt. I found the pattern in a library book. It is called Sunshine and Shadows. A take-off of an Amish pattern according to the book.

bearisgray 11-08-2008 12:20 PM

I like it. It looks so warm and cozy. Any competition about who gets to use it?