Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Moda Warehouse (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/moda-warehouse-t200187.html)

Shana 09-11-2012 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 5506792)
hmmm... profit that is not made is not tax deductible.

The way our CPA explained it, any company who provides us a service or item, either at cost or free of charge, can claim the retail amount as a 'donation' or charitable giving. So while a bolt of Moda may wholesale for $4 a yard my LQS retails it for $10.25 so they would get a charitable giving tax deduction for $102.50 assuming they gave it to me free of charge. If I paid the whole say cost for it they would get a $62.50 deduction.

TexasSunshine 09-11-2012 11:02 AM

Quiltstringz is correct, you have to be a business, can buy wholesale and have to buy by the bolt. It is a huge warehouse/shipping place.

mucky 09-11-2012 03:50 PM

I know they sell shorts which is fabrics less than a bolt in folded pieces. A friend of mine bought that way and brought it home and put it on bolts to sell.

Jan in VA 09-11-2012 04:09 PM

Don't go in the summer, it's hot as satan's pit in there! We used to go in shorts and tank tops with a huge water bottle! (Partner and I when I first bought into my quilt shop. We lived in Plano where summers are often high 90s and frequently over 100 degrees. Sucks the air right out of your lungs when you step outside, I tell ya!)

It's a warehouse, hot, dusty, so-so lighting, limited selection *sometimes*. You are not likely to find new collections for 'open buying'....they are often set aside for pre-ordered shipments.

Jan in VA

quiltyfeelings 09-11-2012 07:50 PM

All are correct except for the AC! It is air conditioned :) yes, you have to buy the entire bolt, yes you have to buy multiples. For example, rulers are generally sold in bundles of 3 so you have to buy 3 of the exact same ruler! They are very strict with the $250 minimum! I have a house account if you'd like to go sometime.

justflyingin 09-11-2012 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by quiltyfeelings (Post 5508133)
All are correct except for the AC! It is air conditioned :) yes, you have to buy the entire bolt, yes you have to buy multiples. For example, rulers are generally sold in bundles of 3 so you have to buy 3 of the exact same ruler! They are very strict with the $250 minimum! I have a house account if you'd like to go sometime.

That is a generous offer! Wow.

QM 09-11-2012 10:35 PM

I don't wish to LIVE in TX, but it would be nice to shop there.

ptquilts 09-12-2012 03:11 AM

We used to buy bolts wholesale from a fabric wholesaler in Boston (NOT a manufacturer). They were easy to work with, I seem to remember $2.00 a yard ( this was a LONG time ago!) -- anyway a wholesaler might be another option.

Mollie'sMom 09-12-2012 04:01 AM

I use to have a fabric store before my Mom got sick. She started the store in 1962 and I bought it from her in 1983. We had always been very good customers of United Notions. I always loved their products. They shipped well and were a good company to deal with. When Mom got to where she need me more in the the late 90's, I was struggling to keep the shop open and deal with her illness at the same time. I got a letter from UN saying that I would probably be better off buying retail since my purchases were so small, but I could still buy from them, if my purchases were at least $250. I finally had to close in 2002 to take care of her full time and have not made a purchase from them since. If you have a valid tax # and can buy $250 I am sure they will welcome your business. I am sure the $250 Min. is to make it worth while to pay an employee to pull the order, pack and ship it to you. UN is one of the largest notions and fabric wholesale warehouses there is.

Mollie'sMom 09-12-2012 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts (Post 5508429)
We used to buy bolts wholesale from a fabric wholesaler in Boston (NOT a manufacturer). They were easy to work with, I seem to remember $2.00 a yard ( this was a LONG time ago!) -- anyway a wholesaler might be another option.

I don't think Moda will be $2 yd. and it has been a looooong time since I have seen any fabric wholesale for $2 yd. Oh how I long for those prices again. With the price of cotton as it is, I think those days are gone.