Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Modern Quilting Board (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/modern-quilting-board-t292614.html)

Eisy 11-15-2017 11:31 AM

Modern Quilting Board

Does anyone know if there is a quilting board like this one that is dedicated to modern quilting. I am interested in doing a modern quilt and would like some ideas.
Would it ever be possible to add a modern quilting section to this quilting board???

Peckish 11-15-2017 11:40 AM

You could just start a new "modern quilts" thread....

NZquilter 11-15-2017 11:43 AM

Isn't modern quilting just the same as any other style of quilting? I don't mean to be rude, but I always just thought that it was like how some people like civil war quilts, some like appliqué, some like hand quilting and some like longarm quilting... We are all quilters after all :D A detailed work of art, some batting and a backing lovingly stitched together!

sewbizgirl 11-15-2017 12:12 PM

There may be some modern quilting group pages on Facebook. Try there. I don't know of any other website like this one for quilters.

If you simply want ideas, go to Pinterest and search for Modern Quilts. Other than the design of the top, they are made the same way as any other quilt. Maybe you just want design ideas? There should be a plethora on Pinterest.

QuiltE 11-15-2017 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 7944614)
You could just start a new "modern quilts" thread....

Totally agree .... start a thread here, so we can all benefit!

Where I get confused is ...
it seems there is a not a true-blue definition of a "modern quilt" or what "modern quilting" is.

Lots of variations as to what fits the modern-style.

As for myself, I did not like modern quilts and always shook my head against them.
(Or perhaps I should say, according to my own definition!)
............yet have noticed that the last year or so,
my own preferences seem to be heading in that direction .... weird, eh? :)

NZquilter 11-15-2017 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 7944633)
Totally agree .... start a thread here, so we can all benefit!

Where I get confused is ...
it seems there is a not a true-blue definition of a "modern quilt" or what "modern quilting" is.

Lots of variations as to what fits the modern-style.

As for myself, I did not like modern quilts and always shook my head against them.
(Or perhaps I should say, according to my own definition!)
............yet have noticed that the last year or so,
my own preferences seem to be heading in that direction .... weird, eh? :)

This thread got me thinking. To me modern quilts are geometric designs, lots of negetive space and generally stark color contrast. But then I thought, nope that's the old style Amish quilts! So I don't know!

TheMerkleFamily 11-15-2017 01:30 PM

Eisy - I've wondered the same thing and think an actual "Section" should be considered on this board specpifically for Modern Quilting threads. It's a large enough topic that I think would support itself with multiple threads all relating to 'Modern Quilting' just like Vintage Machines, Swaps, Tutorials, etal.

Not sure how that happens but I'd support it!

Sewnoma 11-15-2017 01:46 PM

Does anybody know of a modern-specific board? I'd be interested in checking that out.

QuiltE 11-15-2017 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by NZquilter (Post 7944640)
This thread got me thinking. To me modern quilts are geometric designs, lots of negetive space and generally stark color contrast. But then I thought, nope that's the old style Amish quilts! So I don't know!

Exactly ..... and where I get somewhat confuzzled! :)

...... or perhaps it is proof that, "everything old, is new again?"

SusieQOH 11-15-2017 02:28 PM

I started quilting in a very traditional way and didn't really like anything that wasn't. But I have changed!! I see so many modern quilts that are just fabulous! If you mentioned machine quilting to me several years ago I would have thought the quilt world was going crazy. Not any more! It's all good :)
I love seeing the diversity of what people on this board make. And I've changed a lot myself.