Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Modifying bow tuck construction sequence (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/modifying-bow-tuck-construction-sequence-t68225.html)

kso 10-04-2010 07:56 AM

I started on my bow tuck bag yesterday and am wondering....Has anyone modified the construction sequence to attach the outside pocket to the upper outside of the bag BEFORE attaching the lower outside of the bag to the upper outside bag? Thus, you would catch the bottom of the pocket in the seam that joins upper and lower outside.

It would make a much cleaner and simpler pocket application.

Additional changes to construction would have to be made to accomodate this major change.

katier825 10-04-2010 08:04 AM

no, but it would probably work nicely. you'd have to quilt the pocket and top part of the bag first, then continue the quilting on the bottom part of the bag after the pocket is sewn on. great idea!

MaryStoaks 10-04-2010 08:06 AM

I have modified, but differently. Some I made the outside all one piece, some I added a different size pocket to the outside (Maxine or othe little panel), some I made the two outside pieces but liked the fabric so much that I didn't put an outside pocket on. I have made them with no pockets inside. I made little wallet/makeup bags for inside, my friends like the little bags for money/credit cards/cell phones etc. It's fun to make the bag to fit the recipiant.

kathy 10-04-2010 08:15 AM

I made that very change for the very same reason, it does look cleaner.

Baysidegal 10-04-2010 08:21 AM

I would like to see a photo when you have finished

MinnieKat 10-04-2010 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by kso
I started on my bow tuck bag yesterday and am wondering....Has anyone modified the construction sequence to attach the outside pocket to the upper outside of the bag BEFORE attaching the lower outside of the bag to the upper outside bag? Thus, you would catch the bottom of the pocket in the seam that joins upper and lower outside.

Additional changes to construction would have to be made to accomodate this major change.

This is the way I have always done it ... my pattern instructs me to do it this way.

amma 10-04-2010 10:29 AM

Are there different versions of this pattern available? I thought they were all from the same designer...

KatFish 10-04-2010 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by MinnieKat

Originally Posted by kso

This is the way I have always done it ... my pattern instructs me to do it this way.

mine too.

mom-6 10-04-2010 05:28 PM

It could be that one is an updated version following feedback from users.

trish b 10-04-2010 05:48 PM

I was in a class of experienced sewers, in Portland OR, this week and they all modified the pattern to suit there ways of sewing. Go for it. If you are not happy with the results, make another one and try something different. The conclusion of the teachers was that they always change the patterns. Enjoy your Bow Tuck Purse and the construction, and >brag< about the great changes you have made.