Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Mom's voice in my ear... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/moms-voice-my-ear-t121723.html)

running1 05-08-2011 11:31 AM

On this Mother's Day, I was thinking about the things she used to say... I would have loved to spend time quilting with her, but it was not to be... but whenever I get in a hurry, I can hear her voice reminding me to "take time to do it right, or you'll take time to do it over!!" While she was somewhat of a stickler for details and tended toward perfection in her work, she was always complimenting my effort and encouraging me. What a treasure!

What can you still "hear" your mom saying to you about your sewing and/or quilting? Share some of the valuable lessons you learned from your mother, grandmother, MIL, aunts, cousins, sisters, etc...

PATTIESPEARL 05-08-2011 12:20 PM

MOM ALWAYS SAID THAT A STITCH IN TIME, SAVES NINE. SHE ALWAYS SAID THAT BIRDS OF A FEATHER FLOCK TOGETHER, IT TOOK A WHILE TO UNDERSTAND THAT ONE.

mtspools 05-08-2011 12:49 PM

Mine would say haste makes waste, or no need doing it unless you do it right.

Sewing Joe 05-08-2011 12:58 PM

I'm afraid the comments my siblings and I will remember is my Mom's unique and skillful way of stringing together curse words. She could embarrass a sailor on shore leave.

running1 05-08-2011 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Sewing Joe
I'm afraid the comments my siblings and I will remember is my Mom's unique and skillful way of stringing together curse words. She could embarrass a sailor on shore leave.

Well, there ARE a few famous lines... "I'm so mad I could just spit!" My sisters and I could definitely push those buttons!!

sassyg 05-08-2011 01:32 PM

Whether I was sewing, baking or working in my yard. I can hear my mother say I want one.She was always encouraging me in whatever I was doing especially my crafts. Although it's only been a year since she passed I would love to hear her once more and I do in my heart.
Happy Mothers Day to all.

crashnquilt 05-08-2011 01:57 PM

My mother was very encouraging to my brothers and I. She became a single mother of 3 in the 50's. The era of time when being a single mom was NOT fashionable and gave cause to many a wagging tongue. But she never once let those rumors affect her or us children. She held her proud and taught us to do the same. Every day Mom would say, "I have faith in you. You can do whatever you set your mind too."

Even though rumors flew faster than a jet in our neighborhood, they sure didn't stop us kids. All three of us grew up to be successful business people.

ann31039 05-08-2011 02:10 PM

It takes less time to do it right than it does to do it over

mosquitosewgirl 05-08-2011 02:15 PM

As you sew, so shall you rip...

deanneellen 05-08-2011 02:16 PM

My mother was usually very encouraging but If I had done something that needed correcting, the dreaded "I have a bone to pick with you" would come out!