Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Mondo or Midi Bag batting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/mondo-midi-bag-batting-t248910.html)

auntpiggylpn 06-23-2014 04:33 AM

Mondo or Midi Bag batting

I started a Midi Bag yesterday and I also have the grid interfacing to make a Mondo bag. The pattern and gridded interfacing are from Quiltsmart.com. I did a quick search here on the board and I haven't been able to find any posts about what kind of batting has been used. The pattern calls for fusible fleece, which I don't have on hand. Has anybody made either of these and used a different type of batting in it?

Koller 06-23-2014 04:44 AM

I use two layers of sf101 interfacing. It is an iron on. Use plenty of seam.

auntpiggylpn 06-23-2014 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by Koller (Post 6770167)
I use two layers of sf101 interfacing. It is an iron on. Use plenty of seam.

i have a whole bolt of SF101!

Candace 06-23-2014 05:20 AM

Most battings need to be stitched down at least every 5-8 inches(depending on manufacturer), especially if you're going to wash it. I've made the Mondo bag and the fusible fleece is not stitched down except for at the seams. I would imagine regular batting could tear, migrate or bunch due to the lack of quilting or stitching.

Tink's Mom 06-23-2014 05:40 AM

I was going to post about the same as Candace. You will need to add top stitching to the bag to make sure the batting doesn't shift with use.

Raggiemom 06-26-2014 11:13 AM

It's kind of funny to see this post because I just started working on my Mondo bag yesterday. It's coming along nicely so far. I think I have the midi bag pattern too somewhere. Would love to see yours when it's done.

auntpiggylpn 06-26-2014 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Raggiemom (Post 6775441)
It's kind of funny to see this post because I just started working on my Mondo bag yesterday. It's coming along nicely so far. I think I have the midi bag pattern too somewhere. Would love to see yours when it's done.

im actually using the directions for the Mondo bag to make the Midi Bag! I bought the Mondo Bag Pattern & interfacing as a kit a couple of years ago but I bought just the Midi interfacing at a quilt shop last fall when we were on vacation in Hilton Head. The quilt shop worker told me if I had the instructions for the Mondo, I didn't need the pattern for the Midi. So far, so good ! I just need to get the fusible fleece this weekend to finish it up.

bjgallent 06-27-2014 01:06 PM

Mondo and midi bag.

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the mondo and midi bag. I used fusible fleece and did not do any other quilting. Holding up well.

Candace 06-27-2014 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by bjgallent (Post 6776740)
Here is the mondo and midi bag. I used fusible fleece and did not do any other quilting. Holding up well.

Yes, that's why fusible fleece is used and not batting.