Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Monopoly challenge - quote of pricing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/monopoly-challenge-quote-pricing-t247903.html)

juropat 06-04-2014 07:11 AM

Monopoly challenge - quote of pricing

Hello, I need some feedbacks. Someone ask me to make her a Queen size monopoly quilt and she is supplying the fabrics. How or what would you charge? I know threads but how you figure out in time n labor? I would have to create a pattern myself using all the fabrics she has - panel plus many others matching themes. Also how many yards is required for Queen size quilt? I haven't decided to tackle the job yet as I want to get an good idea on pricing, etc n present to her before taking the next steps. Appreciate any feedbacks n opinions.

Nammie to 7 06-04-2014 11:41 AM

Wow -- that sounds like a challenge! You might be better off just giving her a flat figure -- I don't know how you would be able to figure out how to charge for the design time! It would be different if you had a pattern and went from there.

JenniePenny 06-04-2014 12:08 PM

For yardage requirements for the back only, you would need 3.5 yards of 90" wide fabric or approximately 7.5 yards of standard-width fabric.
Yardage requirements for the front would depend on the pattern.

Terri D. 06-04-2014 12:11 PM

Check some websites of what the Amish charge for their quilts--some cost more than $1,000. If you're doing everything, including the design, pay yourself fairly. Making a profit off your hobby is nice, but for whatever amount of time you're working on her quilt, that's time away from the ones you want to make, so it's important to pay yourself enough so you don't feel resentful of the time you're devoting to someone else's project.

ckcowl 06-04-2014 12:27 PM

One of the recent*guidelines* I came across recommended charging $20,$25,or$30 a square foot (depending on the complexity of the project... A 72" square quilt is 36 square feet @ $20 that would be $720...since she is providing the fabric you could always (estimate the cost and deduct that amount. or

juropat 06-04-2014 08:01 PM

Thanks for some inputs.

bigredharley 06-05-2014 03:22 AM

If you decide to make it, please post photos. sounds like a fun one to make.

ManiacQuilter2 06-05-2014 04:13 AM

Having done custom quilts before I became disable, beware of the many pitfalls that will come your way. You have to be able to present her with an accurate design of what the quilt will look like. Most non quilter's do NOT understand the cost of labor when they see the quilt imports from China being sold in the store and on the TV shopping channels. I always passed on any savings that I accumulated for my customer such as thread. These are still tough economical times. It is NOT as much fun working on someone else quilt than it is working on your own. Good Luck. Looking forward to seeing a photo of the quilt.