Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Monster Mega Hoop (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/monster-mega-hoop-t278812.html)

CarolinePaj 05-20-2016 02:23 AM

Monster Mega Hoop

Hi Everyone,

Does anybody out there have one of these? What I really need to know is will one of these hold a quilt sandwich? I was gifted an embroidery card that contains quilting patterns and I wondered if I could use the hoop and this card to quilt some of my tops.

As we know quilt tops can be quite heavy and I can't see how the hoop would hold it in place.

As you know these hoops are pretty expensive and shipping to the UK will be quite high too so before I take the plunge I need to hear what you all think!

Hugs

Caroline

Pennyhal 05-20-2016 09:41 AM

I don't have one, but I don't think any hoop hold a quilt sandwich. Just simply too fat! But you can hoop the stabilizer and pin the quilt to the stabilizer. You'd need to use a wss or heat away one.

Dolphyngyrl 05-20-2016 07:47 PM

you can but I am told the bigger the hoop the more it shifts. I just got the 5x7 and it works well.

Jane Quilter 05-20-2016 08:05 PM

I have one, and yes, it holds a whole quilt sandwich. Several of my quilt club friends quilt a quilt in these hoops, rather than on a quilt frame that several people sit around. Hand quilt that is.

DOTTYMO 05-20-2016 10:19 PM

Which design are we discussing as I have found 3 different models and I think some are discussing a hand stitch hoop.?

Jane Quilter 05-20-2016 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter (Post 7555162)
I have one, and yes, it holds a whole quilt sandwich. Several of my quilt club friends quilt a quilt in these hoops, rather than on a quilt frame that several people sit around. Hand quilt that is.

Sorry, I misunderstood. I have a hand quilting mega hoop over 2 ft in diameter, I didnt think you were talking a machine hoop.....Sorry

tildiemae 05-22-2016 03:52 AM

I have quilted using my embroidery machine and used a mega hoop as well as a large hoop depending on the size of the block. My batting was 80/20 Hobbs and I didn't have any trouble with it shifting. Another project I'm using a product called Battilizer which is a denser type batting but not thick. It works beautifully! I have quilted using backing, batting and top and other times no backing. Either way it works great and I'm very pleased with the results. My machine is a Bernina.

Reba'squilts 05-22-2016 05:39 AM

I do not have any trouble quilting with the embroidery function on my Epic. The biggest I have done is a large lap size. I think for a bigger one I would have to pin it into a package that would be easy for the arm to manage. This is a fun way to quilt!! I am just trying to incorporate all the machine functions into quilting. It is fun!!!

dms 05-22-2016 08:51 AM

I have the monster hoop and love it. I prefer it to any of my other hoops and it keep fabric aligned very well.

RAChhap 05-22-2016 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by CarolinePaj (Post 7554406)
Hi Everyone,

Does anybody out there have one of these? What I really need to know is will one of these hold a quilt sandwich? I was gifted an embroidery card that contains quilting patterns and I wondered if I could use the hoop and this card to quilt some of my tops.

As we know quilt tops can be quite heavy and I can't see how the hoop would hold it in place.

As you know these hoops are pretty expensive and shipping to the UK will be quite high too so before I take the plunge I need to hear what you all think!

Hugs

Caroline

What brand machine do you have? If you have a local or close dealer wouldn't it be better to buy the hoop fro them rather than have it shipped? I have a huge hop for my Viking Diamond but haven't had time to figure out how to use it. I have done a little quilting on my 240x150 hoop though with no problems. The only time ihad a problem was the first time I tried it I used stabilizer not realizing how much trouble it would be to get all that stabilizer off!!There are still some l,ittle white flecks on the back of that quilt!