Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Moratorium on Fabric Spending (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/moratorium-fabric-spending-t196310.html)

May in Jersey 07-31-2012 06:56 AM

So far this year the only fabrics I bought were Thomas the Train and some other kid's fabrics for gift pillowcases for great nieces and nephews. Bought Moda cream muslin, 120' wide at about $7.50per yard, that's 3 yds of regular sized fabric per 120" yard. This is for quilt for DGD and her fiance as rest of the fabric for this quilt is from my stash. Also 3 yards of a nice blue for GGS's I Spy quilt - I have the I Spy fabrics in my stash but needed sashing, border and binding fabric.

I'm co-chair of my guild's Project Pillowcases and I satisfy my fabric buying urgers by buying fabrics for pillowcases using our budget money.

PS: I was at a retreat a few weeks ago that was held in a quilt shop workroom, the owner had some great fabrics on sale for $4 per yard and I resisted buying any as I really didn't need any more added to my stash.

karenpatrick 07-31-2012 06:59 AM

I have only bought fabric twice this year. One 2 yard piece to finish a quilt I had started and to take advantage of a sale that connecting threads was having...$2.50/yard for their quilter's candy fabric which I love.

sandybeach 07-31-2012 07:13 AM

I am in the "already have too much fabric" category. I was trying to rearrange the stash this past weekend, and came to the conclusion that I can't possibly use up all of this fabric before I die. And right now I am in a quilting slump and really don't want to even look at the machine.

auntpiggylpn 07-31-2012 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Blackberry (Post 5407841)
Way back in January I decided to have a moratorium on fabric purchases after rearranging my stash. I just couldn't believe I had so much fabric. Well, here it is the end of July, 7 months have gone by, and I have successfully kept to my decision. I was just wondering if anyone else had made the same decision and if so, were you successful in that decision so far.

I reorganized my stash and put it on foam core boards at the end of June. I too was amazed at how much fabric I have. I have 3 five shelf book cases full and 3 large tubs that wouldn't fit on the shelves. I put myself on a fabric diet that week. I have been to my favorite LQS only once and that was to buy some muslin that I needed for my Biscuit quilt. I delete emails that come from fabric enablers before they are even read. I still browse the sales here on QB but I have been a very good girl!! I know it has only been a month but I am proud of myself!

Alas, my will power will be tempted tomorrow though. My friend from Florida is coming to stay for a couple of days. I taught him how to sew and quilt a couple of years ago and haven't seen him for that long. I want to take him to my LQS as he has never been to it. He too is afflicted with the fabric buying disease. I will do my best to remain strong!!

SouthPStitches 07-31-2012 07:29 AM

No, I crashed and burned around March. Find I do better when I allow myself just a little shopping, like a charm pack every now and then. That keeps me happy with something to look forward to without much expense or adding a lot to the already too big stash.

Lucio 07-31-2012 11:25 AM

I put myself on "fabric restriction" last Nov. I have a huge stash, a bad heart, advancing years, and a daughter who doesn't want to deal with it all after I go. I have only purchased 3 fabrics for backings and an assortment of Aurifil thread. This has been easier to accomplish than I thought because the Joanns that was 2 miles from me closed and the Hobby Lobby that is 25 miles away is just a shadow of it's former self. Both of their fabrics have definately diminished from the quality of the fabrics in my stash which were purchased several years ago.

nannyrick 07-31-2012 11:28 AM

Wish I had your stamina!! You could bottle it and sell it. Whatta you say? LOL

0tis 07-31-2012 11:31 AM

Well I am on the opposite end - I am making up for your "non-purchases" - what is funny is - I cleaned up my sewing room - organized my fabric and wrapped it in the foam core boards - my husband saw the room when I was finished - here is what he said, "You don't have enough fabric, you need to replinish your stash" Who am I to argue with him....:)

quiltingcandy 07-31-2012 11:48 AM

I am in the midst of re-oraganizing my stash. Started it several months ago but had to stop to finish quilts for my 3 year old twin niece & nephew. My favorite quilts are the "I Spy", Halloween and Christmas. So when I get near fabric that is what i gravitate to and there is no way to stop me when they have something new. Just found out today I have 12 different fabrics with turkeys on them. Can't wait to count the pumpkin fabrics, there is so much more.

It must be an addiction! I was able to quick smoking over 25 years ago, but all my control goes out the window with certain types of fabric? Do you think they lace it with something?

Shelbie 07-31-2012 12:59 PM

Unless I need it to finish a project or it's a really good sale, the regular price $15 a metre for fabric in Canada definitely curbs the impulse to buy and add to the stash. I did buy a lot though when the sewing room contents of one of our guild members was sold at her estate sale. At $2-$5 a metre, I stocked up on browns and tans which were really lacking in my collections. I also had to buy a little red, yellow and green.